Mike Cecere

Never realised he had to retire so early…
https://www.issawalsall.org/post/mike-cecere-interview

3 Likes

I’d forgotten he was still here in 93-94, if I’d been asked I’d have said he left in the summer of '93.

He’s not kidding about a section of fans getting on his back, it seemed those who didn’t like him REALLY didn’t like him. Over the years I’ve heard a few say he’s one of the worst strikers we’ve ever had, which seems way over the top to me. I can think of plenty who I reckon were a lot worse.

Did you ask him how his name is pronounced? Chech-er-ee, Chech-er-ay, Sess-er-ee, Sess-er-ay…or summat totally different?

1 Like

Its Chech-er-ay! I didn’t ask him but Paul Marston did in 1990. I thought he supported the likes of Rimmer and Rod Maca very well and a lot worse have appeared in our colours. Always tried his best couldn’t fault him for effort.

1 Like

I liked him.Formed a decent partnership with Stuart Rimmer. There have been plenty worse than him over the years for sure.

1 Like

I’ve heard all four pronunciations from different fans, I’ve gone for Chech-er-ee, so I’ll have to get out that habit now. :roll_eyes:

He made a good partner for Wayne Clarke as well, did the donkey work. I think his late winner against Crewe in April of 93 might be my favourite Bescot moment from the early years there.

2 Likes

A good read that. I remember that time-period vividly and there were plenty of goals spread around with Clarke, McDonald and Cecere up top. I recall a rather distressing story about his personal life (involving an actress from Coronation Street). Injuries ruined a good career but he certainly played his part in some memorable games.

1 Like

He was a cracking, hard working striker, with a pretty respectable strike rate in some fairly shocking squads.

2 Likes

My favourite was his ‘handball’ goal. Charging down the keepers clearence with both hands raised in the air, ball goes in the net with everyone expecting a free kick, even Mike look back to the ref with shock and amazement that the goal was given

2 Likes

Went out with Jenny Bradley from Corrie, led to a cheeky chant that, if I remember rightly, included Rita Fairclough

Bet he’s glad he never got to meet the father.

1 Like

:+1: :+1:

Come to think of it, it was Mavis Riley!

Ought to have been Audrey Roberts given that Sue Nicholls comes from Darlaston - and is married to the bloke who played Alan Bradley.

1 Like

She used to have a farm shop on Mill Lane Shelfield, for a few glorious years it sold maggots which saved the likes of me the bike ride to Brownhills High Street if I wanted some for fishing purposes.

And that farm shop is still there.

1 Like