Molineux Success

I believe we did, yes.

Isn’t mad how come players just have zero impact on you as a supporter.

Thanks, always a relief when I find out I haven’t just invented something. :grinning:

I have absolutely no recollection of Chris Hutchings playing for us and he was our captain (apparently).

1 Like

Played the first season at Bescot didn’t he? I don’t recall him being captain at any point I must admit.

1 Like

How on earth can you forget this?! :joy: :joy:

4 Likes
1 Like

Did Bazeley get dicked by Lloyd Dyer away at the Albion or have I made that up? Either way it pops in my head whenever Bazeley is mentioned and tarnishes my view of him.

He was i remember someone shouting more like captain pugwash at him sure it was Northampton away and i think it was Bill who used to knock around with Joey Savage.

We did. Remember seeing him playing against Pelsall Villa in a friendly.

1 Like

Strange I can remember al the teams from Fellows Park days even players that only had a couple of games, but struggle with last 20 years maybe its because so many came and went where as we only used about 14 players a season back in the good old days

I agree York. For my first 15 or so years of watching Walsall (74-90) there seemed to be a really consistent group of players from one season to the next. Might have been a couple in and a couple out. But some real mainstays. Serrella, Harrison, Buckley, Caswell, Mower, Shakespeare, Hart, Rees etc. Blokes that were with us for at least 8 years with plenary of others doing five or six.

Then in 1990 came our own tumult as the club crashed and needed to go very cheap. And then it became the way of the world post Bosman. There have been a few who hung around - Walker, Wrack, Keates amongst them but it is a far more transient place now. A ten year testimonial virtually unheard of. I think Kinsella might be half way there and then nobody else is anywhere near.

1 Like

Chambers had a fair stint with us, really good professional, we were pretty lucky to have him that long I think, I am sure he could have got paid more somewhere else and done an equally good job. It’s one of the problems with getting kids to stick with following Walsall these days I think. They don’t have time to get any attachment with players. I totally agree, several players that were playing in the early to mid 80s made it to Bescot. My two boys are still talking about Oztumer, they have a bit of an attachment to Josh Gordon cos they got a photo took with him, and he is one of our better players, but it really is tough.

3 Likes

The amount of loanees during the Whitney and Keates era’s was criminal - cheap, young or crocks - continually disrupting the flow and making it impossible for a fan to develop any connection at all. Yes a sad indictment on modern football but also the final crumbling of the Bonser model, which could no longer compete.

The only one out of all the loanees that looked decent quality-wise was Tyler Roberts.

1 Like

I sympathise. I struggle to remember much from the last ten years or so, players seem to come and go and I forget half of them unless they are really good (unlikely), or really terrible (more likely). But before that, I could give Mastermind a go. :laughing: I mean, I remember Tony Obi, and Jimmy Dainty, and Regis Gerrault, and I could tell you when Ron Fearon made his one appearance for us (without having to look it up) :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I agree. The exodus in the summer of 2016 nearly saw my son knock it on the head. He was six in 2010 and twelve in 2016. So he was hugely invested in the Smith era. The management, the players and the way we played. He was gutted when O’Donnell and Butler left but Etheridge and O’Connor still felt like continuity.

But that huge exodus meant he didn’t really want to know for a season or two. He’s back now though. At 16 he knows that supporting his local team (Liverpool) would be boring and disappointing so he’s back on the glory hunting bandwagon that is Walsall FC from the Black Country.

8 Likes

I was walking to work down the A461 near Rushall one morning and a car drew up alongside me and the guy inside asked me if I could direct him to Bescot Stadium. I told him I was a fan of Walsall FC and gave him the necessary directions. I was really surprised a couple of days later to read in the local paper that we had signed Chis Hutchings. The accompanying picture showed it was the guy who had asked for directions but like you I can hardly remember seeing him play for us!! Perhaps it would have been better to have misdirected him :grinning:

4 Likes

Like the last sentence “these fans have had enough… after just 6 games!” :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good description even if it is a little harsh :smile:

1 Like

Another great night …at the run down Molineux…

https://www.issawalsall.org/post/3-9-1985-wolves-0-walsall-1

1 Like