Most games lost in a row

I always remember that on the final whistle Dave Bathurst announced that videos of the game were available to order. Wonder who he was aiming that plug at … :joy:

I remember the Chelsea match when we lost 7-0 at home. Gordon Durie scored 5 and the Walsall fans were singing his name at the end. A truly depressing run.

1 Like

Wasn’t freddy barber in goal? and if i remember he got so much stick

i was 11 and thats my main memory of the game durie scoring 5 never thought we would get that low again but we are trying recently.

Remember the Chelsea match as if it was yesterday. One of my favourite Walsall players, Fred Barber, copped a fair bit of flak from Street Enders during the second half, Stuart Rimmer missed a penalty when it was 0-6 and, at the end of the game, David Bathurst played SOS by ABBA and said match videos were available from the club shop. Crazy game followed by a Rimmer hat-trick in a 3-0 win at Sunderland seven days later that was Sunderland’s first home defeat of the season. Nothing went right after Alex Taylor sustained a very serious injury and never did the Saddlers really replace David Kelly.

1 Like

@chunkster @Pedagogue in the autumn of 1989 we had Chris Wilder on loan for 4 games from Sheff Utd so we currently have two who have played in our colours who are now Prem managers. I doubt if this has occurred before?

1 Like

Love that story Geordie

My first ever Walsall game was October ‘88 the defeat at home to Watford, the first in those 15 defeats. It’s a tail I tell to my 15 year old son now, unfortunately it appears as though he might be witnessing his own tales of woe to pass on to the next generation of Saddlers. This has got to be the worst team I’ve seen in those 31 years. However we still love the club and still ‘enjoy’ going, UTS!

Signed at the same time, but very different quality. You ended up eventually not wanting Saville to come off the bench, however bad we were playing . Rimmer’s transfer money might have saved us.

That got mentioned in national press.report on the Monday. It was given as an example of blind optimism. I think it was more likely gallows humour.

Just had a look at Smith’s long winless run in first half of 12/13, most games lost in a row was two. Plenty of draws.