Most loved and hated manager

I think Ray Graydon was the most popular manager we’ve ever had. A true gentleman, never, ever spoke an unkind word about a player or our opponents.
Alan Buckley: We played some truly wonderful football when he was manager. Nobody will ever forget that fantastic night at Anfield.
Dean Smith: I was really disappointed when he left because he didn’t finish what he started. I’ve never blamed him for bettering himself, but his timing was poor.

We’ve had some pretty bad managers over the years.
Merson
Barnwell
Clarke/Dutton

1 Like

It should be his back room staff that recieve that award.

Yep, I’m glad he has the resources he needs to be successful now. And by successful I mean making a team competitive in the fourth tier with a top five budget.

4 Likes

We had sung Ray Graydon’s name all season and he had never really acknowledged us, that moment when we sang it a few minutes from the end against Oldham and he turned to us and windmilled his arms with a big smile, is one of the only moments I have had tears in my eyes as a Walsall fan. Will never forget it. Nobody comes close to this man as the favourite Walsall manager, something truly magical happened under that union that nobody, including Graydon himself, could explain.

Darrell Clarke was not here long enough to be our worst manager, I just don’t get the hatred. Arrogant idiot, yeah, worst ever Walsall manager - you have to be joking!! Hutchings, Barnwell, Merson…all did irreparable damage to this club, a few misplaced boasts is hardly in the same league. He had his best assets sold and jumped ship - Christ, what an idiot eh?!

4 Likes

I don’t think Clarke is the worst, but as per the title of the thread, he is for me the most dislikable.

4 Likes

Yeah, he’s one of those you tend to like if it’s going well but heavily dislike if it’s not, he’s that kind of bolshy character. I guess you make your own bed…

And not being allowed anywhere near that top 5 budget

1 Like

Yeah, all the bullshit and bravado probably doesn’t matter if he’s got you winning every week. It’s when you’re rank average 99% of the time that it wears thin.

1 Like

Love Chris Nicholl
Hate John Barnwell

1 Like

Chris Nichol was my out and out favourite. i remember once he led the team out onto the pitch in the 4th division before they got changed and told them take a good look at this ground because we’re never coming back here!

Chris Hutchings was the only manager I’ve ever really lost my rag over. I was shouting at him every game to quit and go.

2 Likes

“Loved” - Alan Buckley (for the football)
“Hated” - Darrell Clarke (for his demeanour)

1 Like

I was just about to say the same two!

The excitement of Buckley’s teams is hard to match and there was no excuse for Clarke behaving as he did.

As an oldie Bill Moore best

Most disliked O’Driscoll his few games ruined the season

1 Like

Another vote for Sir Ray. Gave me the best years I’ve had supporting this club, plus I loved his ethos when it came to discipline, commitment and honesty. I cannot see this club ever having another period like that, not the best football we have ever played but it was just a magical time to be a Saddler

Most disliked for me is difficult. O’Driscoll was not here long enough and some others like Broadhurst, Whitney, Hutchins were just out of their depth. For me though Clarke is the worst, it really irked me at his first Vale press conference he said how superior their players were to Walsall’s … you mean the team you assembled.

What ever we do or dont achieve this season if we could do the double over Vale i would be a very happy supporter

2 Likes

I know we finished way down the table when he was manager here, but I have got to mention Big Fat Jan Sorrenson. I know my memory is probably playing tricks on me but that must be for me one of the most enjoyable seasons ever, despite our eventual league position.

The side we had then is one that we could only dream of now, what with Boli, Peron, Hodge and big Adrian Viveash to name but a few. I think Derek Mountfield was with us then as well?

I can remember beating Macclesfield 7-0 and then obviously the cup game at Man Utd. Saw some fantastic goals and games, all with a manager who looked anything but a manager!!! I know we never won or got anywhere near promotion with Big Fat Jan but he is another one that I will fondly remember during his 12 montns with us for many reasons. It was a very successful and enjoyable unsuccessful season, if you know what I mean.

5 Likes

The good has been VERY good .

The football under Buckley was just brilliant . I was a young lad and got spoilt on that . Just for the 83/84 cup run he has to be right up there .BUT despite a team that ran Arsenal and Liverpool ragged , he didn’t get us promoted .

Nicholl did such an important job of getting us out of Div 4 and stabilising us in Div 3 .

Graydon got a team of no hopers up , beat all our local rivals in the Champ and then got us straight back up . And he wore a flat cap . We have a winner .

5 Likes

Worst for me was Barnwell . Such high hopes that season , a decent team on paper . We were dreadful .

1 Like

Hated Ray Graydon
Loved Darrell Clarke

Or was it the other way round :thinking:

I remember the abuse Barnwell took while walking back to the changing rooms at Fellows Park, the queue used to be building up well before the 90 mins were up, and used to be about 20 deep :joy:

2 Likes

Remember us storming the bar and Marshy was there getting pissed :rofl:

1 Like