Music that Walsall have run out to

Hello everyone,

I hope this is okay to post here – if not, moderators please move or delete as appropriate.

I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris
Stride. We’ve published a number of academic papers and magazine
articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and
replica shirts (see, for example sportingstatues.com, and
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17460263.2019.1578255).

Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have
run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years.

We are looking for the music that Walsall have run out to for as
many seasons in the past as you can recall. We are simply interested in
the title of the song, the artist who recorded it, and for which seasons
Walsall ran out to this. Any help you can give us to
piece together the different songs that your club has run out to would
be hugely appreciated.

If you have any personal anecdotes around the reasons for the songs
being used, or the changes between them, that would also be fantastic.

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song
that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the
tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any
questions, please let us know! We would be very happy to discuss the
project.

Thanks for your time,

Joe Headland

The Who - Won’t Get Fooled Again in recent years
Hard Fi - Hard To Beat
Starship… Can’t remember.

Our archivists should be able to flesh this out…

2 Likes

I seem to remember Go West by the Pet Shop Boys sometime in the 90’s.

In the late 1960’s possibly early 70’s too we ran out to Anchors Aweigh. Just the instrumental version not the one with lyrics. Music composed in 1906 by Charles A. Zimmermann.

1 Like

Ring of Fire - Dario G

1 Like

Hiho from Snow White.

1 Like

“Nothing’s gonna stop us now” - although I thought this was used more after the final whistle?

Eye of the tiger :slightly_smiling_face: well that’s what i would LIKE us to run out to

In the mid nineties this was the run on tune, accompanied by ‘Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing your team, the Saddlers…’.

1 Like

Me personally I’d like us to run out to NO music at all . Hear the fans instead like back in the day. I’m old enough to remember the days at fellows park whereby the away team would come out the tunnel first to a raucous of boos from the home fans while the away fans would cheer their team even louder and then likewise when the home team came out. It generated an actual atmosphere!!

3 Likes

We come onto the pitch to the opening bars of Emerson Lake and Palmer’s “Fanfare for the Common Man” but have used a combo of things before that moment and during the couple of minutes pre kick-off. As mentioned, The Who’s “We Won’t Get Fooled Again” has been used for several seasons (though not this year), plus Hard Fi’s “Hard To Beat” and “Living For The Weekend” and Dario G’s version of “Ring Of Fire” and “Carnaval De Paris” (popular after the 98 World Cup in France). Plus, in a similar vein, “Played-A-Live” by Safri Duo.

The theme from Pirates of the Caribbean has been used for many seasons before the players come onto the pitch.

There is a man who will know the all the answers with total accuracy over the last 4+ decades but not sure he’s on this site.

Thankfully we don’t run out the theme from Z Cars which has to be the most bizarre tune to run onto the pitch to (Everton and Watford) but we probably should come out to “■■■ On Feel the Noize” by Slade due to local connections.

EDIT - just seen Slade’s spelling of the word come is picked up on the swear filter!!

2 Likes

I seem to remember Willie Naughton running, stiff legged, onto the pitch to Hi Ho from the 7 dwarfs - or am I just imagining that (quite possibly).
I like the Slade idea, although they’re probably considered too much a dingle band despite Noddy’s beech dale roots.

1970s…Portsmouth by Mike Oldfield.

1 Like

Yes liked Portsmouth just couldn’t understand why it was chosen. Seem to remember it was Nick Bates’ season as captain and it did some good as I remember a few quick goals.

I remember we had an Abba song come on (late '70s) after the final whistle - “The Piper” maybe?

Mick Bates!

Your best bet is to contact the club and ask them to put you in touch with Dave Bathurst who has been our stadium announcer and tune player for over 30 years! He should know what records he’s been using as the run out music (and why).

2 Likes

I remember hardly any of these. I either don’t pay enough attention - or I stay in the pub too long. :grinning:

1990- current.
Gwen Guthrie. Ain’t nothing going on but the rent

3 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Or

1 Like