New kit

Are we therefore being a little bit disingenuous when we break out into a rousing chorus of “Walsall FC…From the Black Country”.

They also used chains on the Titanic.
Must have a word about those bloody racist icebergs.

2 Likes

My front door has a chain on it, which I believe is firmly associated with my front door, rather than slavery.

4 Likes

It rhymes better than staffordshire :smile:

Think my V5 Golf has a timing chain :thinking: And it’s black :disappointed_relieved: it’s gorra gew!:rofl:

2 Likes

My bathroom door has the sheer audacity to have a chain on it, advocating both cultural imperialism and mocking the tribulations of those caught up in the transatlantic slave trade.

I’m going to ■■■■ in public from now on in a humile form of cathartic dirty protest, flicking nuggets of crap at anyone pulling a face.

My understanding of how the flag arose, was as an attempt to represent the area’s industrial heritage, metal-working, glass-making, using the colours red black and white. It’s original use was for “Black Country Day”, which I assume is a celebration of this heritage by means of a bit of fun for kids and families, that aims also to connect folks living in the area with the lives and history of those that lived there before them. No surprise then, that this process was hijacked by the social justice warriors in the Labour Party. I quite like the flag, and also the fact that Walsall FC are incorporating it. At least it shows someone at the club is putting a bit of thought into it.

6 Likes

Write up here on the flag debate.

Essentially says that some stuff that was made in the Black Country was used for bad things and whilst celebrating the manufacturing heritage you can’t forget the bad things either.

1 Like

Mildly interesting but very typical stuff from the Guardian. Personally couldn’t be any prouder of my links to the region including it’s industrial heritage. Also couldn’t care less what some of the more nefarious -nowadays politically incorrect- goods made in the Black Country were used for. If we all started denying our past, both good and bad, we would be on a slippery path towards denial. Educate about our past both good, and bad by all means. But we should not be encouraged to erase it in the name of today’s PC brigade.

13 Likes

We live in a world where we have to step on eggshells every time we speak…PC gone mad, glad I’ll not be around in 20/30 years time! (though I would have loved before I shuttle off, to have seen contact from non human beings, although most certainly on a follow up visit after the ‘Jesus’ nonsense!)
And, incidentally when the locals up here say to me “your not from round here are you” I tell them I’m from the Black Country and
proud of it. Walsall has always been and will always be in the Black Country. Nobody is telling me that someone from the Birchills lives in Staffordshire!

5 Likes

Everything ever made has been used for bad things at some stage in history. We can’t just keep going around not talking about things incase someone is offended.

4 Likes

I don’t think a feather duster has been used for anything bad.:wink:

Cynthia Payne would probably argue with you on that Sid:rofl:

2 Likes

The only part of the article that resonates with me is the bit about culture coalescing around a particular point in time. In relation to Walsall specifically, there are accounts of an extremely rich and colourful history that predates the growth of the town in the 19th and 20th centuries. Well worth reading and supported by some very interesting evidence, including many of the current names of districts and streets.

That would be with the definition of bad meaning good Shady,or at the very least kinky.:smiley:

1 Like

You’re right. Similarly we shouldn’t shut down another perspective because it doesn’t match our own world view.

Talking is good. Listening even better.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more PT, unfortunately we’re heading into a society where talking about many key issues that should be very much open to debate gets you criminalised, and listening has you labelled as a loon, a denier, or a “insert x” sympathiser.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a shame. A world that should be more connected than ever is becoming more divided as we choose our global tribe and stick with them. These huge online echo chambers where people only cross over to insult, name call, judge and shame.

The Black Country flag is a pretty cool and harmless design in my opinion. But I’m dead interested in what others see in it and why they see it. If I were to suggest my take on it is more valid than somebody else’s I’d probably achieve nothing more than dig two trenches a little deeper and make the world a slightly worse place as a result.

Wait until you see the flag I bought at Leeds market the other week that I’ll be taking to away games next season once I’ve “adapted” it for Walsall purposes. Its also red black and white, and I’ll hazard a guess will be confiscated by some over-zealous ■■■■ in a hi-viz before the second week in August.

Sneak preview.

Even got in a bit pf pirate overtone to welcome our new arrivals.

2 Likes

About thirty years ago there was a regular skull and crossbones flag at our games. Traditional black and white version.