New Years Day - Newport Game Possibly Postponed?

I was at North Shields v Whitley Bay yesterday.
Shields had NINE first team players out for whatever reason, but still the game went ahead, and the buggers won!!

If that had been an EFL or Prem game I bet it would have been off.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be gutting if Swindon’s game against Man City has to be played behind closed doors - losing out on a big windfall for beating us …

4 Likes

And that’s fair ? (A) on the fans paying to watch a reserve team…(B) if you’re playing against a full strength team and you are desperate for points?

The fans thoroughly enjoyed it from what I could see.
Not an expert on North Shields, I literally only see them play when the play Whitley Bay, but the players that came in did their club proud, including one young lad that used to play in the same junior team as my son a couple of years ago.

They won!!

I’d rather the ones who ‘run’ our club feel the pain of what they have missed out on rather than wish ill on another clubs fans (even if it is Swindle) They clearly don’t care about how the fans feel about things, but the pain of seeing such a windfall pass them by may just make them try a bit harder not to be out of all the cups by Christmas again next year. Probably not but we can live in hope. For a club with a relatively rich history in the cups our efforts in the cups have been a disgrace for years now.

2 Likes

Depends on which 9 players were missing. First choice usual starting XI might be more of an issue (unless you’re Man City, Liverpool or Chelsea with massive depth of squad so that it doesn’t matter), but if it’s fringe or youth players the only problem might be making a bench, or having one or two play out of their usual position.

We’ve called games off for international call ups that included Maz Kouhyar but he only ever played a handful of games for us, and don’t think that included a league start.

Mills, Bates, Leak out - would it really matter compared to Rushworth, Menayese, Miller?

Followed by Newcastle v Man Utd last night. I imagine your dinner was in the dog when you got home :laughing:

Dinner in the Dog and not a Covid check in sight :wink:

1 Like

I actually paced myself quite well!!

Went to Wonderbar before the toon game which is absolutely upliftingly brilliant, especially after all the covid shyte. Just a two hour non stop social club sing along, Proclaimers, Slade, Oasis, Sex Pistols, The Jam, and all the Geordie faves which would’t, make much sense to anyone but basically involve Neil Young, Journey, ELO and loads of Sam Fender who is usually in there (but wasn’t last night). It was great, shame you have to leave and go to the game :rofl:

I also bumped into the lad who played for Shields yesterday tonight in my local pub :joy:

Was asking if my lad still played to which I replied “no he’s discovered drink and women” :grimacing:

Covid shyte permitting my offspring is going to Southampton away on Sunday…bus leaves 2 AM. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/hull-city-call-for-relaxing-of-rules-over-covid-19-postponements-3508233

“Having taken 2,500 supporters to East Yorkshire, Blackburn are understandably angry at the lateness of Monday’s decision”

I should say so too absolute joke to cancel a game 2 hours before it kicks off.

1 Like

The EFL has confirmed that Washington, Tyne & Wear-based Rebecca Welch, who is enjoying her first season as an EFL official, will be in charge.

1 Like

Gets more and more strange everyday if the efl have announced a ref surely it’s on so why haven’t we been put out the usual 10 tweets a day about buying tickets. Definitely should throw in the friend’s for a fiver deal on this one people off work ain’t seen a game for ages we might get above 5,000

4 Likes

That’s exactly why we shouldn’t offer friends for a fiver.

1 Like

We should because those people i refer too are not Willing to pay £20-25 for a ticket I don’t blame them either I wouldn’t pay it I got my season ticket that’s reasonable £20 + is ridiculous.

This appointment was announced on 15 December, so has no bearing on the viability of Saturday’s game. See earlier thread started on that date. I’m surprised Belphegor hasn’t persisted in declaring his ignorance of this particular referee.

Any updates on this yet, is it on or off?

5 points is a massive gap in this league. Absolutely massive. There’s normally only about 9 points between 7th-20th come the end of the season.

Plain wrong, here’s a list to improve your research.
20-21 7th 73pts, 20th 51pts
19-20 7th 58pts, 20th 40pts (37 games only)
18-19 7th 71 pts, 20th 49pts
17-18 7th 75pts, 20th 47 pts.

Nobody knows

1 Like

Wow surprising, always feels closer :man_shrugging: Still, glad you put the research in for a change :+1:

Still, it is absolutely massive. 5 points off but you’ve got to out play 5 teams minimum between now and the end of the season to make it up. Can’t see it happening.