Next season

Success in any field is always due to luck - Ask any failure.

1 Like

As I said, watched the game. Yes the stats are about 50/50 with us just edging it, but if we are going to say that about games we might as well get rid of Goals and decide games by xG. The amount of games I see where the xG is the opposite of the result itself is absolutely hilarious.

To have ā€œbeen the better sideā€ you have to outplay a team on the deck, at least matched them physically and looked more dangerous in my opinion. We were none of those things.

I too also watched the game and my initial reply was to DC comments.

Say to any neautral who didnt watch the game with the stats in front of them and maybe they would assume that we edged the game. Passes stat shows we outplayed them, donā€™t they? 72% success.
We didnt match them physically, no.

But youā€™re right the only stat that does matter is they scored 2 we didnt score any.

Iā€™d actually disagree to be honest. Iā€™ve seen Barca, who have been the best possession based football team for the last 15 years, lose many a game that they absolutely deserved to because you still have to be creative, intelligent and threatening to outplay a team.

But hey ho, you might say thatā€™s not a fair comparison considering the levels of quality I suppose.

Iā€™m on record as saying his media skills arenā€™t great.
But I donā€™t mind this sort of outburst.
It shows he cares and heā€™s hardly saying anything out of turn or surprising.

However, heā€™s not the great manager he thinks he is.
When he strung some results together we thought there was an outside chance of the playoffs at best.
Yes, we are all experts, but only in the sense of playing people in correct positions.
That might be a good starting point for him.

The concensus on Tuesday is that nobody had any idea what the hell they were doing.
That is down to the manager and his constant farting around with the team.
In the old days we had a starting XI and someone who could come in if one or more were missing.
I donā€™t see what has changed in D4, quite frankly.
This isnā€™t the Dingles in the PL and Europa - and they change things less than us.

Next seasons gonna be brill. Loads of signingsā€¦ honest

1 Like

3 on target at home to any second bottom team is very poor really and one of those was the penalty which is pretty easy to get on target.

Still a creative void in home games that will not be getting solved in this transfer window.

2 Likes

Have to say I saw it differently. They had far more chances than we did in my view and played some nice counter attacking football. Obviously the pen was a great chance but apart from that and Scarr hitting the post at the death, our end product was next to zero.

I agree with his comment about the Carlisle game though.

I actually donā€™t think we are that many signings away from being a decent proposition at this level (thatā€™s not a compliment by any stretch of the imagination by the way) which makes it all the more frustrating that we canā€™t even expect more than one first teamer to be added this window. On Loan. From Fleetwood. In a position we are already catered for.

7 Likes

I have to say it drives me mental that he has signed the same midfielder over and over again.
The ones heā€™s signed must be pretty cack and two of the best were here all along anyway.

3 Likes

Big points mate

Top half of league will be a lot stronger and with the normal amount going down it will be all hands at the helm for many teamsā€¦

Lost a huge chance too turn this club this seasonā€¦If its such a poor league it wouldnt of taken much too get outā€¦Swindon may have have done it with 2 playersā€¦We cant do it with a full squad

Donā€™t come here with your out-of-the-box, modern football thinking!

2 Likes

Whatever happens we are going into the third transfer window of this ā€œnew eraā€ still missing the couple of quality attacking signings that we needed in the previous two windows, whatā€™s that cheesy wisdom quote? ā€œYou can never make the same mistake twice because the second time you make it its not a mistake, its a choiceā€, wonder what happens if you do it three times? Iā€™m sure weā€™ll find out in the summer :sunglasses: One things for certain we wonā€™t be kicking off next term with 5,000 home gates, so If Pomlett wants to generate the resources necessary to fund a promotion push (assuming from the evidence of this season he canā€™t do it himself) he needs to get to work on freshening up the boardroom and bringing some new investment in.

This season is all about finishing as high as possible. Season ticket sales will be way down. Cannot see people rushing to buy the new kits. Sign a striker who knows where the net is. Look all the way down to level 10 of the pyramid. A scorer is a scorer. Then that way he will belong to us. I cannot be doing with loan signings. Not much quality is needed to get out of this div. I will REALLY be judging DC in the first 10/12 games. If we are nowhere near then he would be off if i had anything to do with it. This is the worst i have ever known my team to be. Sort itā€¦

1 Like

Even if the kit was nice, theyā€™d order about 30 of every size.
Lots of grumpy middle aged men being offered baby kits and a terrible away design nobody wants.
Iā€™m not saying the same thing happens every year, but thatā€™s another thread.

1 Like

But only in small, xxxl, & xxxxl, who amongst us is either Large or indeed medium?

I think we should write the season off, and concentrate on building for a proper promotion push next time. Thatā€™s what annoyed me about the signing of Sharon, we have enough young players here, Clarke needs to work with them, make them better players and get them ready for next season. Sideline the gash loans heā€™s signed and do some coaching with our own lot. Letā€™s see what DC is made of, can he improve players and fashion young talent into a cohesive unit.

2 Likes

I WAS a DC fan, but he as worn me down with this team and his signings and his constant tinkering, as for next season I cannot see it getting any better, this team will need a big overall again, so weā€™ll have the same excuses of gelling. He did say the deadwood out in January and new in, so that was just Liddle then plus Kiersey not being renewed, I could tell him thereā€™s a few more. With falling attendances and they will next season the budget will get worse, so weā€™ll hear the ā– ā– ā– ā–  again.

1 Like

That hope seemed to fizzle out when Marsh went to Forest Green. Seems to have been the only forward targeted this window but I guess being lumbered with Gaffney for the season has restricted things.

If you ever want to see how misleading possession stats can be then watch the Spain vs Russia last 16 game from the last World Cup. Spain had around 75% possession but created naff all. Russia created a few good chances with their limited possession and won. Goals win matches, not sideways passes - thankfully.