No Shaking Hands

17 years ago it was SARS. In HK, anyway.

1 Like

There is no WHO advice regarding that kind of social interaction.

AIDS, Bird flu, swine flu, SARS, Millenium bug. All ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  in the end when compared with the predictions.
They all caused me problems at work over the years with having to draw up contingency plans for all sorts of scenarios which thankfully never came about.

I do wonder if thereā€™s an element of not wanting to be shown how itā€™s done by China in all of this.

Schools in HK will remain closed until 20 April - that means they will have been closed for three months if they do re-open then. Most civil servants have been working from home. Sporting events cancelled. Government announcements telling you to stay at home.

All HK permanent residents are getting a handout of Ā£1000 each.
Taxpayers will receive rebates of up to Ā£2000, and rebates on rates of Ā£600. Businesses will receive other handouts.

Government - not media - hysteria.

1 Like

SARS was fuckin scary , at least in North York General (Ontario) , I will never forget those three days my wife was in isolation while they worked out what was wrong, sorry but these things should not be down played otherwise you get numpties who think being a numpty with the general health and well being of others is ok.

Weā€™ll be ok through this though, Jacinda told us all down here we can go out for dinner , I hope she is buying and she doesnt go round hugging us all.

4 Likes

The whole reaction to this stinks of people unaffected asking whatā€™s the big deal. In other words, ā€œIā€™m all right Jackā€

3 Likes

Not really. We are all affected by the economic impact.

1 Like

Not debating that at all, just judging by some of the things Iā€™ve read and heard. People dismissing the coverage as an over reaction

1 Like

I would consider it an overreaction compared to flu. In the case of annual flu there is an implicit (non spoken) agreement that people are impacted and people die. We now know that the mortality rate is similar for coronavirus but we want to shut the country down to stop its spread. Why do these two approaches differ?

And no, I dont really want any virus to kill anybody whether annual flu or corona but there has to be a balanced response.

3 Likes

Bit of both Iā€™d guess, The powers that be have to be seen to be doing something, and itā€™s best to be vigilant. Political tennis ball. Iā€™m sure computer prediction models have some seriously alarming results to fuel the fire.

On the other hand, someoneā€™s making an absolute fortune from hand sanitizer.

Probably because ā€œThe Fluā€ has manifested itself over hundreds of years whereas thereā€™s no indication the potential of this disease. Could be the same, could be worse. The kill rate might be the same but what about the longevity, contagion and any other variables of the disease. Better to be safe than sorry and all that.

1 Like

I think that made sense at the start of the infection. The chinese reaction was reasonable I think considering the unknowns. Now we have a decent feeling for the impact, should the rest of the world react in the same way? In short, we havenā€™t really done that I suppose.

i agreeā€¦

Im not sure what too think right nowā€¦ I see so much panic about it but not much from the government really so i question is it as bad as thought?

For the younger generation its like the cold but for any older people like our mothers and fathers it could be the worst thing too hit them especially if they have medical conditions

My old dear is already a very disabled ill ladyā€¦This thing would finish her so im not going too lie it worryā€™s the ā– ā– ā– ā–  out of meā€¦

What concerns me the most is, if it is a massive killer like we are hearing why are all the governments moving so slow too combat it?

This. 100%.

The mortality rate for Covid-19 is 3.4%, for flu 0.1%. How is that similar?

5 Likes

2 Likes

Iā€™m asthmatic and about three years ago I nearly died after contracting flu, almost certainly would have died had I not made the timely decision to drive to hospital (five minutes up the road) and instead chose to sit at home and wait for an ambulance. As well as being on oxygen I was given two nebulisers, and steriod injections. A combination of timely interventions worked. None of the treatment I received ā€œtreatedā€ the flu, but they addressed/ treated the complication of me having an asthma attack as a result of having flu. All of these Covid sufferers that die will basically die of a complication, rather than the disease itself, the complication basically being pneumonia (inability to breathe due to fluid in/inflamation of the lungs). The Japanese doctors that treated the patients on the cruise ship improvised and used an asthma drug Ciclesonide (Alvesco) to great effect. Elderly patients with Covid 19 were out of danger in 48 hours having been given this drug. It doesnā€™t do anything against the actual Covid 19, but like the nebulisers/oxygen/steriods I was given it treats the actual life threatening complication of not being able to get oxygen into your body via your lungs. Why is this not being reported? I found out about this because as an asthmatic I had a conversation with my doctor (routine appointment) and he knew about it.

9 Likes

Most deaths seem to be due to ā€˜underlying causesā€™. In my case, it would be diabetes, and old age.

1 Like

Managed to find this, https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200303_20/

so it looks like thereā€™s something in it, seems very strange that have only a few patients been given this drug given that this was over a fortnight ago?

Cospiracy theorists would say that it is a way of controling population :wink: