Number 3 Zak Jules

Well two games in and won MOTM in both polls on Vital Walsall. I feel Jules most certainly has the tools to be a top defender, a key attribute for me is how quick he is on the deck. Even though he had games under his belt before joining us, he hasn’t ever really settled as yet, even though still at a relatively young age. I’m hoping that this could be a good season for him and he can play a instrumental part in a promotion push. His versatility at left back is also useful and how nice was it to see a centre back as he played last night score from a header off a corner!

3 Likes

Agree I like him a lot and with a good run of games could really come on and be a big player for us this season.

3 Likes

I’d rather he didn’t play left back too often. Get him in as a center back whenever possible, and he just might be a gem.

Him and Scarr as a partnership could be quite something.

1 Like

If only Scarr could play football !
He’s a stopper for me, but has little football ability I’m afraid.

Jules always looked good to me, he must have had a bost off last year with DC.

Weirdly I think our worst centre half is DC’s love child and our captain !

1 Like

He was superb at Crawley away last season, especially second half when we had to defend a lot

1 Like

I think Scarr’s getting better on the ball to be fair to him.

He’s never going to be Rio Ferdinand, but as long as he’s a competent defender with ball players/carriers around him that’s absolutely fine.

Agree 100% Larry, Jules is way better than Scarr and Clarke is way off the pace.

Left sided centre half all day long although he did strike up a little partnership down the left with McDonald last season which seemed to be quashed by the manager after a couple of games just as most of us on here were salivating over it.

2 Likes

I think Matt Sadler is out best central defender, certainly was last season anyway (bar that handball). Crazy how we all see different things isn’t it?

I think Sadler had a better second half of the season, I thought he was poor for the 1st half but in fairness the team was no great shakes.

I just think ZJ looks the part and certainly has the potential to become a really decent player

1 Like

DC criticised his work rate in training

1 Like

Looks to easily have the raw materials to be our best central defender. Maybe his head is right now.

1 Like

Another one who got a bit too much cold shoulder last season compared to others although DC did at least explain his regular omissions at the fans forum.

I too think there’s a player there. He proved himself as a decent standard league 2 defender at Macclesfield after all.

1 Like

I thought he was poor last season at CB, but also surprised how he couldn’t get a game whilst we were playing crap.

Got all the attributes. Like the fact he has some real pace, goes a long way at this level at the back.

1 Like

I like him at CB, can defend, has pace to get us out of the ■■■■ and has good height and build

Not too sure about him at LB, he always seems to look for the long diagonal ball when it’s clearly not on. Just lacks ideas there as it’s not his position. Could see the difference when Nurse came on for him against SWFC the other day and how he makes that position look his own with short one-two passes and overlapping runs

3 Likes

I could see some genuine potential last season. Looks like he should have everything to be a very capable left back/ left sided centre half.

Reminds me of Tyrone Mings.

Zak is a good player, although LB is not his natural position he did very well there against Wednesday and played well at CB against Rovers.
He would be in my back four week in and week out, I’m not sure James Clarke would make the team to be honest.
Scarr is improving all the time, his distribution is not the best, but not much gets past him. Cameron Norman has found his form at RB and will be difficult to dislodge. Our midfield is a plenty. Bates has played well and continues to get better, we haven’t seen Sinclair or Guthrie so far, good problem for DC to have.
I would rest Lavery for Eli up front. Give him a good run in the side to see what he can do - there’s certainly a slyer there.

1 Like

He was one of my favourite players early last season, but was treated badly by DC (apparently because of a lack of hard graft in training?), he was great at defending, and possessed an ability to drive forward, but, thanks to DC’s petulance he wasn’t given chance to thrive.
Lets hope DC has forgiven him, with him and this new Osemwhatsit guy, we could look a threat.

I’m pleased to see some people echoing my thoughts on James Clarke above. He doesn’t convince me…