Official - our worst ever season ( as league 2 )

A Pomlett-esque liberal useage of the word “nonsense” there.

So, finishing- say- 68th when the lowest possible finish is 68th isn’t objectively worse than finishing 86th (or whatever) out of 92, on account of the only differential that there is more competition?

Worst possible finish out of all professional clubs vs fifth worst finish out of same? Hardly nonsense to call the former objectively worse really, is it? (Not that I disagree in the slightest with your closing line).

God. You can’t say the truth like that.

I don’t care what other people think.
Me and my family are Walsall through and through and I’m totally dejected. It’s not good enough. I won’t accept this ■■■■

5 Likes

When was this said?

Its not the fact that this is the worst season or otherwise, pointless argument really - it’s the continuing trajectory and the worrying sign that it is showing no signs of bottoming out.

If next season is worse, we become a non-league club. Let that sink in. Some soul searching is required from those within the club, they have been a part of this organisation for a very, very long time and simply laying all the blame at the ex-chairman’s door (as rotten as he was) from 2 seasons ago will simply no longer wash.

15 Likes

Its a good job this media didn’t exist in the fifties however I will say now this lowest we will get. I expect to get promoted next season or get close to it. I say that because it is obvious where the problems lie and they can be fixed with good management. BD for all his faults has made us better defensively but with the resources he has there is no way we can create or score enough goals. That is where the rebuilding must be done.None of the front men we saw today will be here next season unless Villa loan us Wright again. We have a superb midfielder in Perry and some back up there and at the back if White,Melbourne and Clarke sign we will just need a big ,solid defender .There are plenty of them around who can play at this level so I am glad this awful season is ending but I am looking forward to a busy Summer and the Ko in August when I hope we can all go and watch the matches, cheer the lads or vent our frustrations. UTS

Are people still really defending this? amazing.

2 Likes

Probably a quote from one of the many conversations 123 has with himself.

Wibble

2 Likes

No DC stated the only loans he could bring in were free ones

1 Like

Me too.

Would you class this as Notts County’s low point in 1888/9?

The relevant measuring stick is 4 tiers, its been around over 60 years.

1 Like

As they’re now a non-league side, clearly not. Silly example.

That’s not the point I, nor Andy, made, nor is it the point you contested- the term “hyperbole” clearly was. The thread title is (was) “Officially” our worst season ever, and therein lies the hyperbole.

Quite near the bottom of the Football League” is not “officially” worse than “Rock bottom of the Football League,” and as such, your reaction of “nonsense” was as hyperbolic as the original thread title.

3 Likes

Wrong.

This officially our worst ever season in 4 tier football, its official.

The rock bottom position cited was joint rock bottom, which I guess is almost oxymoronic. That leads to the possibility that there could actually have been 10 worse teams in the regional mirror division when the 3rd division was regionalised. You see this type of potential anomoly played out in the FA Vase in the modern era, where the Northern League (where I live) is given parity to much weaker leagues, and hence every year a Northern League team wins the FA Vase, because in football reality the Northern League is in or around 2 leagues above where it sits in the football pyramid. Vis a vee Walsall’s worst ever season, the only measuring stick worth mentioning is the 4 tier comparison which this thread details, its not hyperbole, its plain relevant fact.

6 Likes

Over and out from me. Absolutely Pathetic that people are trying to defend this shambles.

3 Likes

You seem to struggle with lexical semantics. Clearly “ever” constitutes the last 60 years in your mind, similarly to how Sky invented football in 1993 for some.

Yes, because that’s clearly what’s happening here :roll_eyes:

Nowt to add about Pomlett?

2 Likes

There’s enough negativity about Walsall football club without creating unnecessary wooden spoon trophies. That is why I object to this thread.

The signs I see from the club is that they have woken up since the Barrow defeat.

I would encourage others to wait until a few games into next season before deciding whether the downward trajectory is continuing.

2 Likes

I could say alot. A huge amount tbh. But not on a public message board.

Night all. Take care

We had a worse season 69 years ago there’s nothing to worry about. Well done Leigh, you earned a profit too

2 Likes

Not really, because as I’ve just explained and given examples…the 1950’s teams could have been better than several teams in the mirror league. You or I don’t know that, so the only meanignful measure of how bad we are is the one which includes a ladder of merit which can be measured against every other club, which the 4 tier system offers.

Your point about the history of football starting with the prem is utterly mute in this discussion, as the prem is still part of that ladder of merit. Hence Bradford City once of the prem are in our league now. So you can still judge them in releation to where they are in their history irrespective of the prem v EFL.

1 Like