Official - our worst ever season ( as league 2 )

No, people understand that. What they also understand is if you finish rock bottom last in a 6 person race one year and finish rock bottom last in the same race expanded to 9 people the next year, then, guess what? 9TH IS YOUR LOWEST EVER FINISH :joy:

Are we trying to take some comfort from something that happened in the fifties :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Yep :joy:

The argument is whether it is our worst season in 68 years or our worst season in 100

I take no comfort from this season at all and I doubt anyone else does.

1 Like

Wow sounds like a parting speech to me.

But that’s not what happened. We’re we in a 48 team league this year then?

It’s a subjective argument. I know you struggle with that but all the emojis in the world won’t make you ‘right’

1 Like

No we were in a football league. You know, like the one we are in now.

No, maths makes me “right”. Because finishing 60 odd (at best) will never be worse than finishing 80 odd. Sorry.

Yes, I agree entirely. Very very poor season.

But no need to label it the worst in our history.

:roll_eyes: okay. It literally is but ok.

All subjective.

If we manage 18th this season we’ll rank 86 out of 92 places available to us in the present league system. In the early 50’s we finished bottom of the Third Division South three seasons running, ranking 68th out of the 68 places available to us during that stage of the pre-1958 regionalised system (as it would be impossible to rank in the parallel Northern Section).

So you could argue that we haven’t finished in the lowest possible league position this season, (as we did in the '52, '53, and '54) but we have finished below more teams (85) in the Football League this season than ever before.

1 Like

But it’s not. It depends on what you are asking.

It’s subjective that that team my or may not have been better than this one.

It’s not subjective that they finished lower in the football league than this one. It is, literally, our worst ever finish. There’s no other (logical) way to look at that.

We should be judging ourselves on the current league structure nothing else.

I agree, in my opinion this season ranks as the worst league finish. But this wouldn’t have turned into a 150+ post thread if everyone agreed on the definitions. That’s why it’s subjective.

2 Likes

It’s the worst in 30 + years, I think that’s demanding enough.

God knows how much rent has been paid in that period, sure someone on here has the calculator out but only now has it mean bottom 6 in the lowest league division so lessons simply have to be learnt otherwise it will get worse in next two years.

Ehhh yes and no. Obviously the rent has an impact.

But we have paid that rent and performed better than this on, well, 20 odd occasions? If the chairman himself is going to say it’s blown out of proportion and is actually favourable to a lot of clubs, I start to run out of sympathy for the situation.

It’s important that absolutely no excuses are made for the terrible management and, unfortunately for Pomlett, shockingly poor decision making at the top that has lead to this situation. There are wider issues at the club, but there is no excuse for the performances over the past two seasons of continued decline.

1 Like

Regardless of which was our worst finish, it is bad, really bad and I think most agree on that.

Where I disagree with Andy_Petterson is, I don’t think it should be played down to avoid some kind of embarrassment or negativity. This is embarrassing and very negative. It needs highlighting not brushing under the carpet.

We must do better or sooner rather than later, or there will be no argument to have, we will have our worst finish ever and non league football to go with it.

11 Likes

Be glad once that final whistle goes on Saturday and we can just draw a line under and start again. It’s obvious mistakes have been made from board level down to coaching and playing staff. But don’t see the point in worrying about worst league finish we could have finished 8th or 22nd and we would still have been playing league 2 football again. Let’s just hope we have learnt from our mistakes and look forward to the future.

Wheldon trying to do a ground share with the Dingles was our lowest point ever.

1 Like

That’s what I meant. According to some rent is main reason club is grimly hanging onto football league status but it’s taken 30 years to get to this point so simply can’t be the decisive factor.

1 Like

The only good thing about this season is the fact that we could not attend in person! did not miss the cold wet tuesday nights.

The season is def the worst in my 60+ years as a supporter-- whether north ,south, div 2, 3 or 4 the worst !

it can only get better ---- onwards and upwards, UTS

2 Likes