Oldham's first opponents of the new season

Interesting rise, honestly say I have never heard of them, but seem to have got to where they are in the right way, eh Salford?!

6 Likes

My mate down south despises them, he says the historic Dorking FC were allowed to die so Wanderers could use the ground. So clearly another side to it all.

Read about it a while back. Murky indeed.

A bit like the demise of Milton Keynes City.

1 Like

There’s a series on YouTube called Dorking Uncovered which has followed them the last 3 or so seasons. Kind of like budget version of all or nothing but a pretty decent watch

Can a football team name contain the word ‘City’, if it’s not actually a city, as would be the case with MK?
…and if Swindon became a city, would they change from Town… :joy:

Maybe they were just a bit quick off the mark - Milton Keynes was granted city status as part of the jubilee honours handout earlier this year.

1 Like

Started watching it Jamie Ohara looks fatter than Jason Lillis.

1 Like

Remember watching us beat Swansea Town 6-3 in the cup in 1965 (?). They changed their name when they became a city. So yes.

I guess Nottingham Forest better start planting a few more trees then!!

1 Like

And Leyton Orient better move to Asia :joy:

Getting there on a high speed train!!
…looking over their shoulder, of course! :wink:

13 November 1965. We were 3-1 up, then it was 3-3 before we cracked on to get 3 more. Great game when the FA Cup attracted higher gates than league matches.

The reference to Forest: Forest play at the City Ground which is outside the city boundary and Notts County play inside the city. No one in Nottingham, by the way, would ever say Notts Forest.

1 Like

Over 11,000, and our fourth highest home crowd of the season, behind two league games and a first round league cup replay. Different days.
The following season 10,429 saw us beat St. Neots in a first round F A Cup game, also our fourth highest home crowd of the season, behind two league games (one of them the Boxing Day fixture) and a second round league cup tie.

2-0 with 4 goals disallowed. Why do I remember these things?

These days, playing a non-league team at home, we would be lucky to get 3000.

2 Likes

Where did Albion get Albion from and why? Where did Villa get Villa from and why? As for Rushall …

Why is it called Aston Villa?

The name ‘Aston Villa’ originates from the Lozells area of Birmingham. Where Heathfield Road, Lozells Road, and Villa Road joined was dubbed “Aston Villa” due to the name of a large house in the vicinity. That house was situated near the Aston Villa Wesleyan Chapel, the birthplace of Aston Villa FC.

And Albion

The club’s history dates back to its formation in 1878 as West Bromwich Strollers by workers from Salter’s Spring Works in West Bromwich . The team was renamed West Bromwich Albion in 1880. Albion have played their home games at The Hawthorns since 1900.

But no reference to why they chose the name Albion

That was the start of one of our most enjoyable cup runs ending with a massed invasion of Norwich who scoffed when we told them we’d be taking 4-5 thousand…it was a lot more than that, including many Baggies fans sho didn’t have a game to watch, they were knocked out in R3.

Talking of the Baggies, given the Swansea precedent, surely they should now be called Sandwell Albion.

I used to be impressed that Heart of Midlothian had taken their name from a Walter Scott novel but I later found out they were named after a local pub. I suppose the pub was named after…

I wonder what the largest town/city is that is not home to a football club that has ever played in the League, whatever it is called (there is no “London” team). Warrington I think,

Dudley, I believe.

1 Like