One Year On

Do you sit in the Oap stand

No, the chipless tier of the big stand.

He sat behind the goal for ages. Every game used to hear that. Whether 4-0 down or 5-0 up :joy:

He stood behind the goal up until 2002 and then when the new stand was built I lost track of him. Did he move upstairs?

Nah he was definitely behind the goal in 2005-6-7 as I was there then as well. Heard he might have died

I moved across a bit so maybe I just couldn’t hear him from where I was. I was told by a couple of fans he was the chap who used to phone WM regularly in the 90s and early noughties after the match on a Saturday (Martin?). No idea if that is right or not.

The guy who used to ring WM was Martin Barker who was a teacher at Blue Coat.I knew him slightly as he was involved in the group called " Christians in Sport" which he tried to get me to join.I didn’t join but we remained on “nodding” terms. Whether he was the bloke who shouted out those comments I don’t know but it could well have been.
As for the main point of this thread I have missed going to games.I have a good number of friends I meet both old and new and I really miss the pre match chats. The football I haven’t missed so much due to our poor form but I cannot wait to get back to the ground and hope that we can all be back in August when ,contrary to many, think our gates will be higher as long as the Club manages to bring in some better players especially from the midfield forward.

3 Likes

I remember one old guy who used to attend games at Fellows park who would constantly shout “we need a straaaiker” :grin: used to bring his downs syndrome lad to every game, i think his name was Allan?

One of the more entertaining substitute teachers if memory serves!

I’ve missed it even if the football has remained eye watering bad.

Missed the away games more, Bolton away in a week or two is one I’d have done without any hesitation even with the bad form.

I was going to type I’d be back like a shot in August…however if it’s a case of having to be in an hour before kick off, compulsory mask wearing, not allowed to go into the bar pre kick off and taking ages to get out after the game as was happening in the pilot games…I think I’ll pass until we get as close to normal matchday experience as possible in 2021.

Guess that’s easier to enforce in August-September but imagine those restrictions for a winter game!

The Christians In Sport thing rings a bell, I can remember him telling Franksy/Ian Winter/Tim Beech or whoever that he wouldn’t be going to a Sunday game because he went to church at that time.

Yes…I remember that too. My christianity would not prevent me going to a Sunday game and that difference was probably one of the reasons I decided not join that organisation.

1 Like

I wonder if he was the chap who used to stand by me in the enclosure by the tunnel at Fellows Park. He used to bring a towel and wipe the ball if it came our way. He got told off by the referee one match. He had grey hair from what I remember, be late 40s to early 50s.

I have watched every game. I think we will be here next season and won’t be relegated. Had a look at who might be coming up… I wonder if Mrs hullsadder fancies a weekend in Hartlepool (possibly).
Either way I think that wherever it is, the moment that I see the pitch with the Saddlers warming up on it will be a very emotional one

2 Likes

Drinking mostly :see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

1 Like

I’ve missed it and will probably renew my ST.

When we’re back, I’d happily share a pint or four with anyone off here. Not met anyone off here I couldn’t get on with. Even if we disagree about wider topics in the world we are bonded by Walsall FC and as the demographics on here seem to be folk of a certain age we have decades of shared memories. Memories ostensibly arising from “being there”. I miss being there.

9 Likes

Didn’t we get introduced to each other at a pub in Bury by Ancient Moaner? :grin:

1 Like

Alan Dolloway and his dad Jimmy (RIP), from down the Triangle, Chasetown. Jimmy a good mate of my old man (RIP)

1 Like

Yes we did. First game of the season. Swan and cemetery on the main road. Was good. Though I think AM had spent 20 minutes walking up to random blokes asking if they were Chunkster which could have ended differently!!

2 Likes