Oztumer

Has left Bolton … but where is he going?

Charlton

2 Likes

Probably not back here. It was Witney who persuaded him to join us in the first place; not only has he gone but also most of the backroom and playing staff who Ozzie would have known during his time here, and we’re a league lower than we were (2 below the level he probably wants to play at). So, apart from sentimentality, what would be the attraction?

1 Like

Actually getting paid?

4 Likes

What a player he was for us. I’d go all out to get him back, not that he’d join but it’d be well worth the try on the off chance he did

2 Likes

I wouldnt even bother if he wanted to.

We have Hardy to nurture now. Bringing Oz in would only stop his development and for a side which presses Oz certainly wouldnt do that. We practically carried him for the last few months.

2 Likes

This! We don’t want to stunt Hardy’s development who looks like he plays a very similar role to Oztumer

1 Like

People are panicking about us lacking creativity but, although it’s only a couple of games into the season, James Hardy has shown that he can more than bridge that gap in the cameo roles he’s played. To sign Oztumer at this stage would just stifle his development in the Number 10 role.

I know that DC likes to tinker with formations to suit the opposition but I can’t see us playing with a Number 10 too often to warrant having a high earner like Oztumer on our books, just to play a bit part role. The same goes for signing Matt Jarvis. Both of them would be cracking additions, especially at this level, but they’d provide very little value due to them not being key players.

Nothing against Oztumer though as he was a cracking player for us

1 Like

Im unsure as to the rules this year but Im fairly confident Oztumer cannot sign for a Championship club until January at the earliest.

He was released outside the transfer window so can only sign for a L1/L2 or foreign club unless he gets special disposition from the EFL

Would I have Ozzie back? You bet! Would it be a great sign of intent from the Board and a great motivator for the fans and players? You bet! As for stunting Hardy’s development, what better way to learn that being around a player like Ozzie? It’s a no-brainer for me but I admit it’s very unlikely to happen.

4 Likes

I don’t think he will ever return. Maybe he is not that type of player gaffer wants, maybe he wants to play elsewhere, maybe something else. I know he would add some creative spark to the team, but that’s why we have Hardy. Probably this will be, or is, his role.

1 Like

If we signed Oztumer, I would lump on for our promotion. He could be the talisman to get us out of a very physical league. His set pieces, penalties and ability to win penalties would all be amazing. Replace Makris with Lavery and we’d even have someone on his wavelength. Kinsella and Sinclair would happily do the donkey work if it meant getting a win bonus. Don’t forget that he scored about 60 goals for Boreham Wood as a number nine when Posh took a punt on him. The supporters would love to watch players like Oz: they don’t come along very often. The difference now is that we wouldn’t need to flog him because we have a squad. Hardy could learn a lot from him. Come on Pomlett, do a Mel Morris and get our Rooney in to secure promotion!

2 Likes

After watching Hardy I would not be happy if Ozzy came for 6/12 months and stopped the lads development

2 Likes

I don’t think that either are 46 game players @SirKennethArthurDodd I also think that they could play together. When we were chasing a goal on Saturday, we had 5 forwards on the pitch at the end! I think Hardy is a real gem but he’s very raw and needs to bulk up too. Oz could teach him how to ‘win fouls’ and be a real asset to him and the squad, I think.

1 Like

Hardy has had a couple decent appearances that add up to about 60 minutes of football and very good appearances too but this is no guarantee he’ll be the player Oztumer was for us… 15 goals a season, free kicks, corners, assists, he had it all

Now if we miss out on promotion because we decided to not take him back because of Hardy I’m sure we would all be saying we’d have made it with him in the team

All very hypothetical of course, he’ll end up at a top L1 club if not a Championship one

Me personally would save the wages Ozzy would want, let Hardy do his job and use that money on the striker we desperately need

1 Like

Anyone know what Ronaldo is up to?

1 Like

Plays for Juventus on about 500k a week mate, not sure Oztumer who hasn’t been paid for 6 months is quite that out of reach

A player who has had two good seasons his whole career? Nah, rather we just focus on giving Hardy game time.

2 Likes

Ozzy? Nope. Look forwards, not backwards.

4 Likes