Paul Marston Speaks

Paul gives his take on our chairman and the news that ISSA have raised over £5,000 for WFC…
https://www.issawalsall.org/post/paul-marston-on-our-chairman-and-issa-s-5-000-plus-donation-to-wfc

5 Likes

Some my earliest memories of Walsall, long before I went to a game, was reading his reports in the Sports Argus on a Saturday evening. Great guy.

7 Likes

I followed his every word in the papers and programmes. Pleased to now call him a friend. He came to my house 3 or 4 times last year and he don’t forget a thing about his career nor anything WFC from when he started writing on Saddlers in the early 1960’s.

5 Likes

I remember reading Paul’s columns decades ago.
Walsall through and through.

4 Likes

Bloody hell i thought it was Robin Gibb for a bit :joy:

4 Likes

Met him once when I was a kid. We were playing football in the Arbo and he came over to talk to us as we were wearing Walsall kits. Nice guy.

4 Likes

Fuckin hell Robin Gibb at the Arbo …

3 Likes

Humbled that such an esteemed guy as Paul. , thinks so highly of what. We at Issa do

For him to understand what we are trying to achieve for fans. Is greater than we could of ever dreamed of

6 Likes

Same here although I was reading his reports in the late 90s/early 00s! (Sorry about that HullS :wink:)

Didn’t know he was still alive. Is Brian Halford still around? He took over the Walsall reports in the last year of the Argus before its sad demise.

PM very much alive and kicking! Still cares deeply about WFC .

1 Like

Always used to like hearing him when he was a guest on Radio B’rum/WM.
We used to get the E&S all week and the Sporting Star on a Saturday, so when I first was reading about WFC (early 70s) it was the words of Trevor Gedge.

1 Like

PM was mainly B’ham Mail, Sports Argus, Sunday Merc, Walsall Observer but at one time, I think in the 1960’s worked for the E and S / Sporting Star.

That would be too early for me. We did used to get the Sunday Mercury sometimes so I would have read his reports in that I suppose.

1 Like

He also worked for the D. Mail, D Express, Sunday Express , The Sun and Liverpool Echo. Some of the big players wanted him to live and work in London but he refused, wanting to remain in Walsall mainly so he could still report on and watch Saddlers home and away!

3 Likes

PM played a massive part in keeping me informed about WFC. Always looking forward to reading his reports in the Pink paper on a Saturday night. I used to hang around the local news agents waiting for the van to arrive. Happy times!!!

4 Likes

We used to get it from the bloke who went round the pubs. I swear he’d change his jacket and then come back as Supercockle with his seafood basket!

Then put his uniform on and sell the “War Cry”.

1 Like