Penalties saved. Luck or skill?

That site uses guesstimates on a lot of things i find so it would be interesting to know whether those 5 are actual saves or if they just see a missed pen in the match stats. I also genuinely can’t remember him saving any.

2 Likes

Well it does give the matches, but it does say penalty saves? Anyway, games involved are detailed below:-

I remember the Bradford one at the top. Not a save. Think it is still travelling down the M6 that one.

I’m sure Rory Gaffney was in Vaughan’s ear hole before he took it. Best thing Gaffney ever did for us!!

1 Like

Just had a look at all five for us. Two were misses and three were saves. Of the three saves two were followed up and scored. Which is probably why they are tough to remember as the penalty became a goal nearly as quickly as if the pens went straight in.

2 Likes

What is luck? Is luck a real thing? Is it quantifiable?Surely as a goalkeeper you either do your research or you pick a side to dive to and hope that it’s the same side that the kicker chooses if you do, that’s not luck is it?

1 Like

As Gary Player once said, “the harder I practice, the luckier I get”.

1 Like

Like Shakira said Hips Don’t Lie.

2 Likes

It’s a skill, that’s why some are better than others.

Neither do leggings

1 Like

Ask Tony Richards …he scored 'em, and saved 'em.

1 Like

At least your honest what time was it today when you realised they don’t suit you?

1 Like

May 1981, Ron Green at Bramall Lane; penalty from Don Given. Save which kept us up and sent them down.

On Shilton, he was generally a good shot stopper but hopeless with penalties and with crosses. Made two howlers in major tournaments - played far more than he should have done for England. Clemence was a better keeper.

3 Likes

Roberts dives far to slow for every penalty, he pretty much goes the right way every time, but the ball has hit the goal before he gets across :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Which is true of most keepers to be fair.

The ones that save a lot, jump forward to improve the angle then dive quickly in what direction they have decided. Doyle’s penalty was a very good one.

1 Like

I can think of several times in the moment when I’ve thought he’s saved it, only for the net to then bulge. It’s as though he becomes a hologram.

Try Arnold Rimmer in goal then? (Distant relation of Stuart I believe)

Smeg suggestion

I’ve always been a bit crappy, sorry about that.

1 Like

Still having nightmares about Maradona.

I thought this one was worse

Just toppled over backwards instead of catching the ball.