Photos of fellows park

I was at that game Cully. I think they had a couple of penalties, one which went straight through Mick Kearns legs. He may have saved one if my memory serves me.

I can’t remember the game I’m afraid, can you remember my trousers?
I’m assumming you were only 13 or 14 so I’m sure you wouldn’t have been in the pub before the game, me and my friend were on holiday for a week long tour of the country just going to random places but fitting in following Walsall. We’d got there early as the pub opened and were joined by a group on one of the Central coaches fairly early on, the Dawson coach turned up late as usual and most of them stayed in the pub after kick off trying to catch up on pints :crazy_face:

A year before i left school, i had some jeans like that from the shop in Walsall town centre, just as you entered the Arcade, Karmen Gia :heart_eyes:

Remember that 6-1. From memory we were 1-0 down, Buckley equalised with a pen at the laundry end just before half time. Second half Andrews got a brace and Miah got a hat-trick, cutting in from the wing and letting fly from the edge of the box at least twice if memory serves me well.

1 Like

Strangely I was in the pub (I was 15) , keeping a low profile. Was with Joe Savage (who I went to school with), his uncle Tone, and Bill the baker from Friar Park among others.

Cant say I remember the trousers even though they are a sight to behold, but the penalty was one of those moments that stuck with me. It was in the open end right in front of us. Kearns could have just thrown his cap on it but somehow lost it through his legs even though he’d got both hands on the ball.

1 Like

Joe was always a familiar figure but I wouldn’t know the names of many. Remember a few nick names, a bloke called ‘Lofty’ and a young lad who was called ‘Tich’ who despite being about 14 used to pile into any sign of trouble with away fans and was fearless. He became a legend when at a night match at Bradford he got left behind after a mini invasion to get at some home supporters and was set on as the Walsall fans jumped back over a wire fence. He held on to one of their biggest hooligans while he was on the ground despite being attacked by at least another four until eventually a couple of blokes who used to knock around with Goughy jumped back over the fence to rescue him. There was a single policeman who stood next to us on the terrace just watching as Tich continued with his revenge on his attacker.
*No animals were harmed in this episode

I was always with Joe and the ones I mentioned above plus a mate named Paul, also from school.

I was at the Bradford game as well but none of our usual crowd came so I wet in the seats on my own. Saw all that you refer to kicking off opposite. Was a right the old battle which seemed to carry in all night. Bit scary getting back to the coach aswell and then found several windows put through. Cold journey home.

We were on the open terrace by the corner near to the small side stand which housed the home fans and yes there were a few battles all through the game, behind that small stand was a corrugated iron mens urinal which got destroyed and a few of the roof sheets were thrown over the fence onto the road behind. I was on one of the two coaches that went and obviously the coach you were on was the one that got it’s main windscreen put through. We were on the coach in front on the back seats and clearly remember making up messages by ripping up newspapers with such witty slogans as ‘it’s so hot’ and the like and striping down to bare tops as you lot were wrapped up and freezing with no windscreen. Eventually windows were opened and we were trying to throw things out in the hope? they would end up in the coach behind unbeknown to our driver until we got bored.
Obviously I bitterly regret taking the ■■■■ :rofl:

1 Like

I’d forgotten we were 1-0 down, but remember the Miah hat-trick. I think Doug Fraser was still Manager, we’d not long put five past Wendy, and he was sacked soon afterwards. I’ve always thought it was a harsh sacking.

Fraser sacked in March 77, the 5-1 & 6-1 games were in Feb 77. We beat Shrewsbury next match then lost the next three after which Fraser was sacked. He sold Bernie Wright to Bradford in Feb which was not popular with the fans.

I’d forgotten the Bernie Wright thing. I think Doug knew the team needed rebuilding/refreshing, I’d have liked to have seen him given the chance. Ancient history now though.
I remember the Shrewsbury win, I thought we played well and on the back of the Wendy and Reading results I expected us to go on a good run for the rest of the season, but it went wrong quickly.

What I want to know is although it was 2 1/2 years later in the photo with your child how did you manage to look 10 years younger than the photo outside Elm Park.

2 Likes

The quality of photographic film came on leaps and bounds :grin:

1 Like

Cully Button

1 Like

Walsall v Tranmere 28 April 1990. Pre-match. My favourite view of Fellows Park after walking up the steps.

13 Likes

Remember that view well, first ever game was a night match. Always remember walking up the steps to see it for the first time. My dads fault!

Why was it always sunny as a kid well it seems that way anyway.

Neither did the toilets at the Hilary Street end.

Walsall v Tranmere again looking towards the laundry/railway end depending on how old you are! My first ever Walsall match v Bury stood in the laundry end to the right of the goal.

3 Likes

Graham Forbes (mostly hidden by the defenders on the edge of the 6 yard box) heads the winner against Tranmere. At least I think it was the winner, maybe somebody else remembers better than me.

3 Likes