Players that turned a corner

Ishmel Demontagnac.

Only problem was he turned the wrong corner.

4 Likes

I heard that abuse of Holden by the corner flag at FGR. I was also at crewe away when there was one chap who was absolutely giving josh terrible abuse and josh to his credit looked at him but said nothing. We have a few idiots who should be ashamed of themselves.

4 Likes

Gordon has taken ridiculous abuse too, had several arguments this season about it.

Football is an emotive sport and people, rightly or wrongly, get so worked up that sometimes they just explode, sometimes without having thought about what they’re saying. You could argue they’re entitled to do it as they’ve paid to watch the game, but when it gets personal that’s a definite no-no for me.

A few months ago, Gary Liddle came to take a throw in or a corner (can’t remember now) down by LB6 and he was called all sorts. Not deserved that day, or any day. Nobody puts on their club shirt to go out and lose a game, however good or bad they are.

5 Likes

He never carried bricks.That was a myth.
He used to throw them.

1 Like

Ryan Woods. Local lad released aged 15. Went to Shrewsbury and was flogged to Brentford for £1m.

Sawyers definitely.

I remember watching him at his trial game at Halesowen Town, now he’s just a few games away from the Premier League.

Wasnt bad for us either :smile:

1 Like

Sums it up very well. I wont say ive never said thing i shouldn’t because i have but thats when my emotions come out on rare occasions. There is fine line i feel between abuse and criticism… If a player is playing really poor for a while i feel he deserves criticism and hopefully it motivates them too work harder and do better, That FGR game i was in said place too…i was frustrated by his few poor corners and stuff but i did hear some OTT comments and he deffo heard it because he turned too look! It does go OTT at times i agree but i guess most clubs have same problem.Again let them know if there doing ■■■■ but let them know without going too deep.

1 Like

Not by me, he had some cracking games early on, that 2-0 win over undefeated PNE on a Tuesday night, I think that was his 3rd or 4th game. And of course, that Bury game under King Chris when he was fantastic. He made a few mistakes in his early years but I always wanted him in the team.
I think with keepers it’s so much about judgement that it takes a few years to mature. They can all do the shot-stopping thing (apart from Andy Pettersen) but it’s everything else they need to learn. I thought Mountfield was a huge help to him, always talking to him, telling him stuff. By 97-98 I think he’d reached his peak and luckily for us he stayed there until he left.

2 Likes

Did he turn a corner or just go round the bend?

Andy Butler. Turned up as a trialist mid season didn’t he?

I thought Butler played well from the start? He was POTS in his first season. As with Ada, I thought the fans took to him straight off?

Yes the abuse in the section i sit in thrown towards Holden was absolutely dreadful, it does feel for certain players, people just couldnt wait for an error. Same with Adebayo. I was also at Crewe very early on in the season and at least 50 people all around me were going absolutely mental shouting constant abuse at the players for 90 mins.

Im no saint, far from it, but earlier in the season some of the toxic drivel from the stands was actually making attending games a miserable task, more so than the guff being played on the pitch. The old “pay your money say what you want” argument doesn’t wash with me.

Thankfully its eased off, the results have helped, but attitudes appear to have changed back to trying to give the lads belief a bit more. there is nothing more enjoyable than supporting Walsall when our backs are to the wall.

7 Likes

Back on topic,

Im going for Hector Sam. He was given dogs abuse when he first arrived, and he couldnt trap a bag of cement to be fair. Spent all his time on the floor.

He turned himself into a very effective target man by the end of the season.

1 Like

I’ve never been one to verbally abuse a player, at least not to their face.
Holden, Eli and Gordon have received their fare share this season, it speaks volumes about their character as they are now holding their heads high.
They are not Rooney or Owen, who made an immediate impact on the game, they are just young lads who need to be encouraged and need time to develop.

2 Likes

He did but his career was going downwards hence turning up mid season, fair play to him.

I really rated him .wes reminds me of him abit .gets you off your seat .but he never really matured into a really good player wich he defo could of done

Apart from Michael Ricketts I think Ishy might have been the most talented player to come through from the ranks in my time watching Walsall, and he had pace to go with it. As far as I know he was out of the game by his mid twenties. What a waste, he could have been a big star.

1 Like

He did play at the Emirates for Blackpool in the PL I seem to recall. Mad.

The example I always give is Mick Bates. Crap in his first season after coming to us from the all-conquering Leeds United, the next he was Captain Fantastic.

1 Like