Plymouth Argyle (H) August 4th, 3.00pm

A really good display by all the team. Dobson my man of the match closely followed by Guthrie(Sorry Darko).Ferrier was a revelation and along with Cook will make life difficult for defenders. Two other points …Leahy has his critics but is there a better left foot in this division? and secondly Dean has them playing to their strengths and as a team. Well done and lets bolster the squad this week to ensure that we can compete higher up the league.

Absolutely buzzing after today. A fantastic performance by the team with special mentions for Ferrier, Cook, Ginnelly and Dobson. An exciting performance which led to at times a brilliant atmosphere - more of the same please. On today’s showing, Deano will definitely achieve his aim of getting the fans behind the team. Up the Saddlers

Happy with today. Played well as a team and the back four looked okay and relatively solid. Cook was a handful all match and Ginnelly and Ferrier impressed running at and committing players - Zeli grew into the game a little more after half time.

Dobbo was MOTM by a country mile for me. Kept things ticking and played some superb balls. Also love his passion which showed on more than one occasion geeing up the rest of the team.

Well done to Liam Roberts for scaring us all half to death with his best Enkleman impression!

Good first game for us
Roberts - great 2 saves. Nearly had a calamity start though, nearly gifting them an own goal.
Devlin - just average. Really struggled at points.
Leahy - simply abysmal until he scored. Became slightly better afterwards but not good enoigh
Guthrie - good game. Strong in the air didnt do much wrong
Fitzwater - really grew into the game. Unsteady start but better as went on
Ismail - really poor. Offers no defensive help at all. He was too narrow when they had the ball. Didnt offer a great deal forward defo isnt a striker.
Dobson - Beasty just a quality player
Chambers - was alright. Taken off at half time
Ginnelly - great game. Poses a serious threat when he charges at players
Cook - won nearly everything. Should have scored a 2nd in the 90th min but nm wrong at all
Ferrier - a handful to defend against. Shame he went off we lost a bit of spark

Kinsella - on for chambers. Did well. Solid but unspectacular
Morris - on for ferrier. Did well. Helped defend way more than ismail did. Won the free kick for our goal. Good game
Wilson - cant say not on long enough

Just back from the game, cracking first match of the season, credit to Plymouth too as they had a real go and looked a decent outfit. Dobson was superb so reminded me of George Evans, thought Chambers was poor from the off and carrying an injury. Kinsella surprised me and did ok. I thought the two centre backs had excellent games. Both wingers gave good performances. So nice to see a front two who will cause defences big problems, we also broke so quickly, far more exciting than last season, very Graydonesque performance I felt.

A superb free kick from Leahy. If it had been Ronaldo or Messi, people would be drooling…

It’ll be interesting to see how Leahy develops under Keates. He clearly has goals in him and with some confidence who knows. I like having him around te place.

1 Like

Rumour is Baka has gone to Bristol Rovers for £150k

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::grin::joy:

Turns out the front 3 were playable and we managed fine without ozthumer but thanks for the concern🙂

My assessment of today …

We fully deserved that win. I thought we had the better of the game for the majority. Had less of the ball but we stayed compact and solid. Always looked a threat on the counter attack too. We have SOOOOOOmuch pace in this first 11. Their goal we switched off but after that we were solid enough.

Roberts - Shaky at the start where he nearly rolled it into his own net but after that looked okay. Not very commanding for corners but made an excellent save in the second half - 6/10

Devlin - He was good. Bit ■■■■ on the ball occasionally but fitness is fantastic. Towards the end of the game he was almost playing as a striker haha! Put in some great defensive blocks. - 7/10

Guthrie and Fitzwater - Both very solid. I’d be happy to have them as our 2 CBs all season. Good solid displays. Fitzwater unlucky to hit the bar - 8/10 for both.

Leahy - He was poor defensively. Yet again he was targeted with the majority of their attacks coming from his side BUT I thought he grew into the game. His free kick was superb. I wouldn’t drop him. 6/10

Ismail - Decent display. Basically Ismail being Ismail. He’ll have better games, he’ll have worse. 6/10

Chambers - He stuck his foot in and intercepted a few but to me he looks off the pace. Not sure he’ll see out the season. 5/10

Dobson - My Man Of The Match. Superb. Some sublime passes. Gets stuck in. A proper midfielder. Love him. 9/10

Ginnelly - Very threatening. Looks twice the player now. 8/10

Ferrier - This guy is a beast. Rapid. Exciting. Strong. All he needed was a goal. I’m very excited by him. 9/10

Cook - Excellent. Often had two on him. So strong and works his ■■■■ off. He’ll be a fans favourite for sure. 9/10

Kinsella - Came on and looked very assured. I thought he was better than Cambers by a mile. His legs really helped us. Good display. 7/10

Morris - I thought he was good. Much better than the vast majority of last seasons performances. Drove us forward when we needed to. 7/10

Wilson - Didn’t really see enough of him to rate

Overall a very encouraging display. Very VERY encouraging.

2 Likes

Talking of the Turkish Messi, I don’t think he made the match day squad today, not heard that he had picked up an injury in pre season

Ferriers injury cannot be too bad as he found his way to Maccies D’s after the game quite easily.

Excellent performance all round.

Ferrier and Cook will terrify any defence this season, frightening considering they only met yesterday.

Hands up I’ve been very negative over the lads few weeks but I thought today was superb.

Cooke is brilliant get angry and frustrated when people don’t try and find him in the box… everything you want to see from your striker, and as for the new lad his movement was terrific.

Note on Leahy , he deserves some praise today. His second half performance was superb… maybe just maybe there is a quality left back in there.

Deserved the win today, it was nerve racking towards the end but we were the better side despite being a goal down and throughout most of the match.

Cook and Ferrier - you would hate them playing against you! Those two will be a nightmare for EVERY league 1 defence and if they can stay fit, it gives us a chance in any match. Dobson will be in the Championship with 18 months, loves his football, competing and has the attributes for the step up. Ismail? Hmmmmm…

What concerns me is the hangover from last season, regards just giving the opposition goals. Poor marking for their goal and other chances Plymouth had, tended to be from our poor play , rather than them skillfully carving us open. I suppose with the same back 4 and sitting midfield player, this perhaps tells us something.

An unexpected win given the transfer chaos - but it looks offensively injuries permitting, we.will always have a chance this season. As said above, the back 4 and Chambers were a worry last year and not sure much will change for 1819.

1 Like

Second half showed what a player Leahy can be. I’m off to get ■■■■■■

Echo pretty much all of the above.

There’s still clearly lots to work on- we weren’t able to stop Plymouth putting a lot of crosses in. Both fullbacks were positionally suspect- Devlin in particular was way too narrow throughout the first half, and his second touch is a tackle. For balance, though, put some cracking blocks in, and made a right nuisance of himself to the Plymouth defence when he moved into midfield. Leahy was Leahy at the back… however, peach of a free-kick, but also an absolute wordly of a pass to find Morris in acres on the right, minutes before.

We need to practice corner delivery. I can’t remember the last time we had that many in one game.

30+ performances like that, and Ginnelly will officially be a Revelation. Well and truly at the races from about the second minute.

Very excited about both Ferrier & Cook. Although disappointing when it cannoned off the post, the way Cook made the room for himself to get his shot away was masterful. Really enjoyed the running battle between he & Edwards (No 5).

George Dobson- what can you say? O’Connor-esque. Ran the midfield. Dropped into the back four briefly when needed, and tracked back to make a fine covering tackle right near the end when needed. Full of running and energy. What a cracking player he is becoming.

What was truly refreshing was that every player, more or less, appeared to know exactly what their job was in each situation… it’s been a while since we’ve been able to say that.

2 Likes

Agree mate , he has the ability I think he just needs to concentrate more.

Bang on.

My assessment

Roberts. Did what he needed to do. Although worried in the first
half that he had misjudged and nearly cost a goal

Guthrie. Solid

Fitzwater. Superb game. Great business to have him for the season

Devlin. Reliable. Did nothing wrong

Chambers. Thought he did well until substituted

Dobson. MOTM. Absolutely superb midfield performance. Some of his crossfield passes were a delight. Keep that up and the bids will be coming in.

Ginnelley. I thought he was a real threat
Especially in the first half. Can track back also. Superb perforamance

Ismail. Quiet but showed glimpes of what he can do

Cook. I thought relatively quiet first half apart from the penalty. Showed what he can do with a couple of great won headers and flick ons. Great turn also. Unlucky to see his shot come of the post.

Ferrier. It was a toss between him and Dobson MOTM. A real threat. Unlike bakayoko can keep the ball and bring others into play. Absolutely superb debut

So all in all good first win

1 Like

A really good game to watch and a well deserved win against a good Plymouth side…
No weak links today every player did his part to get the win Dobson easily MOM .
Good backing from fans today proofs give us something to cheer and you get full support…