Pomlett and what he has done for the club

BornASaddler,
If you care to check Companies House public records his business ( a posh cafe in Lichfield ) has managed a cumulative trading loss in excess of half a million £ in the 5 years to 31.03.2020 which was the beginning of Covid restrictions. The latest accounts for the y/e 31.03.21 only show a small loss of £ 6K after receiving support from the Goverment ( and maybe others landlord etc )

That’s just one of his businesses. All good businessmen have had many failures before they succeed.

1 Like

JumboTrudgeon,
He’s made sure the club remained solvent during the worst financial crisis in the club’s history

With the help of the fans who left their ST money with the Club and asked for nothing in return.

They did and I’m sure that helped the club through difficult times, but, if you recall, he did offer full refunds to all ST holders.

How about the transfer fees he received, did that not help?

4 Likes

Yup :joy::joy::joy::joy:

SirKennethArthurDodd
Dave, your not the random Walsall fan who I met on the ferry in NYC afew years ago? Who had moved to the states from Walsall as a kid?

Not me, my friend. I moved to Texas a long time ago and vowed I would never live in cold weather again. The lifestyle is totally different over here, but I DO miss the football.

2 Likes

ShropsSaddler,
I agree with much of what you say here, and I always enjoy your thoughtful, intelligent comments on this board. But I do think you’re under a misapprehension regarding the board directors. It’s quite normal and proper for a board to consist of both executive and non-executive directors and I wouldn’t generally expect an executive director to be putting money in. Their role is day to day and pivotal to the running of the business. The SLO you could argue about. And certainly there are questions to be asked about the non-execs and what they contribute.

Shrops,
I appreciate your kind words. You’re right, I should have referred to the non-executive members of the board. There are too many “old cronies” on the board that need to be replaced as they are passed their sell by date. If we’re going to change the ethos of the club it should start in the boardroom.

1 Like

We have to admit that from a business side, that pomlett managed the money well, ok other won’t agree as we sold off our 2 best players out of a poor team. Difficulty is I can see some fans not returning next year as some games have been horrendous at home.

1 Like

I know that the Club offered refunds, and many (most?) of us chose not have them, I just feel it was worth pointing out that it wasn’t only the efforts of Pombear that helped us in our “difficult times”.

I agree it was a fantastic that so many fan left money in the club. Just a pity that the club hasn’t rewarded these fans more than they have.

I’d settle for not being treated with contempt. :sweat_smile:

JumboTrudgeon
I know that the Club offered refunds, and many (most?) of us chose not have them, I just feel it was worth pointing out that it wasn’t only the efforts of Pombear that helped us in our “difficult times

You’re right of course. It was a very generous gesture by the fans, the gratitude was strongly acknowledged by LP.

My mate who has a Northampton season ticket left his money in and they had a special shirt with the names of those who did likewise - which they gave free to those supporters. We just offered a discount on the price.

They won’t have even done them for us at cost price either.

On the note about kits, I asked if the supporters team that plays Saturday mornings could have a kit, even if it was at cost price. They wouldn’t allow it. Most clubs give their supporters team a kit.

Probably because you asked. They’d have tripped over themselves if it had been someone from ISSA. :wink:

Highly doubt it Tim. , think they see Issa as. Thorn in there side ,

But I do believe robs team should play in the same kit. As the team. as they are representing the club,
Against other fan teams up and down the country

So will be raising it at the next wpm as-to why club won’t. Provide a strip. , yet send one out to Sierra leone
( albeit. The previous years. One. From the club shops old. stock ) alongside other. Stuff . Each year

If club still reject the idea issa are more than happy to help rob. Source and provide. Some funding. Towards. A kit

The club that knows the cost of everything and the value of f all.

5 Likes

Not sure he is actually the originator of this business. Shareholder and almost certainly majority owner after putting money in, but wasn’t it started by his son or nephew?

1 Like

James is the one who started it up.

It is a chore to go these days, nothing to look forward to on the pitch. The stats of the last few seasons confirm that.

6 Likes

Yes, very sad. I feel the only value in going is the bit of extra exercise I get walking to and from the ground to Morrisons’ car park

4 Likes