Pomletts promise

Strange that, the two people actually involved in that decision don’t think so.

I still think Dutton was set to go with Clarke until Pomlett persuaded him to stay so now he feels obliged to keep him. Clarke has so many assistants etc at Vale I’m not sure he would need Dutton now.

1 Like

Whether that is the case or not, both are well and truly backed into a corner. At the start of the Dutton tenure were talking play offs and he was talking up the squad. Pomlett added to the woe by saying that we had a top 10 budget. These statements as well as others have all come back to haunt them big time as the results and performances have been woeful.
Something now has to give, I personally hope Dutton goes as I cannot see a way forward for him here, Pomlett really does now need to make changes to give a new regime the opportunity for due diligence on the squad etc. It should now be damage limitation for Pomlett…he after all was the one who said he wanted minimum 5k attendances.
That is possible, but he really does need to take some serious action as the position we are in the pressure to sell season tickets will pile up. Leaving a change until the summer assuming we stay up will leave any new coaching team completely hamstrung as season ticket uptake will be slow until these decisions are made…and so it will go on.

4 Likes

I don’t get how the 3 points from the last 4 games can be seen as a positive.
None of the games have been decent performances, the Southend game was almost indescribably atrocious, yesterday’s opening 20 and entire second half wern’t much better.
Crawley and Bolton were slightly lighter shades of brown in spells - great!

Two of the games were against the bottom 2, one of whom had 10 men for the thick end of half an hour.

.75 of a point per game gets you relegated on about 34 points over a season, which while admittedly is an improvement on Dutton’s overall circa “relegated by Christmas” 20 points per season ratio, isn’t something we should be aspiring to, even if our sole objective is now to finish 3rd bottom of the football league.

Am I missing something here? Is there anything that makes a case for Dutton continuing as manager other than the fact that Pomlett feels awkward about getting rid??. Usually discussions about managers, no matter how disagreeable they might be, contain some grains of logic upon which the most tenuous argument might be based, but I can’t see anything with Dutton.

As for the idea that he’s a nice bloke and it would be a shame for him. I don’t know him, and only have his interviews as a means of judging his character and fitness for the post. On that basis he comes over as worryingly delusional, not very professional, and extremely dull, none of which make me think that the catastrophic on the pitch performances and results are out of step with the early days of something potentially good that hasn’t quite clicked yet.

There are far better available options out there for a short term appointment to get the rather pressing matter of securing our league status in the bag before we plan more long term in the summer - a couple of them in Dean Holden and Jimmy Shan are local and know the club the former having been here as an assistant manager under Whitney.

3 Likes

Be better to do it on Friday

So if Dutton stays do people still trust what pomlett says or does this change anything on your view of our leader?
Personally I’ll find it hard to trust what he says until he rebuilds that trust

I trust him on some stuff but I won’t take everything he says in his videos as gospel like I was.

I said from the very first omelette video to the nation that he would make a good politician, smooth talking with a look of sincerity, and he ain’t even got a tie.

1 Like

Sigh

Since the “Brian knows he has to win” video we have drawn 5 and lost 1

2 of those games (Crawley, Harrogate) we really should have won, but Walsall being Walsall we somehow contrived not to (Roberts howler, Osadebe pen miss, Josh open goal miss)

2 of the games (Southend, Grimsby) we played not to lose. I fully support that given the position of Walsall and those teams in the league.

The 2 other games (Bolton, Orient) were very good performances away at teams chasing promotion. Nothing wrong with those games.

So yes, if we take LP at his word, then BD should be sacked, but maybe just maybe he is hoping we have a fan base that can look beyond the immediate results and see that sacking BD would in all reality achieve very little, and in fact scupper what appears to be some signs of promise coming through.

3 Likes

[quote=“Andy_Petterson, post:69, topic:6193”]
scupper what appears to be some signs of promise coming through.
[/quot

Sorry pressed a wrong button folks!!!

1 Like

Don’t worry about it. We’ll just take it you agree with me

2 Likes

I don’t distrust him but certainly losing confidence.

2 Likes

I’m losing confidence and patience.
He’s taking the cheap options, no boardroom shake up, no real changes, selling players and not adequately replacing them.
He’s not telling us any details of his takeover - even if a NDA was in place it would have lapsed by now,.
I’m starting to question lots of things

5 Likes

Is this a long way of saying no wins in 6?

1 Like

Are we expecting a video release tomorrow afternoon announcing the new member of staff??

Yes it’s an extra programme seller

2 Likes

In expecting pacification somehow.

Or will they revert back to thinking the fans are thick and just ignoring it?

I’m guessing LP will do a video at some point announcing the new DOF and explaining his reasons for keeping BD in charge,saying that the improvement in performance whilst not winning games has impressed him immensely and that you minnows know nothing and one day you’ll see the potential he’s seen all along.

I personally think we have started to pass a ball and resemble something like a football team in glimpses but 0 wins isn’t good enough is it thanny let’s be honest so for that reason he’s not the right man for the job even though I have to give him credit for trying the role and improving some areas from absolutely ■■■■ to just ■■■■.

5 Likes

Surely the most ridiculous thing he said all season was “top 10 budget.”

I mean team’s going to likely finish 4-5th from bottom so going by that quote season has been massive underachievement and tbf to Clarke he left the club in 11th and two points off 10th so in the boring project way of his he was pretty much fulfilling the brief.

Why with “top 10 budget” and selling players for over half a million in January and also getting the DC compo was the best that could come up with Osei Yaw and someone who couldn’t get in the Barrow team and has already ended his loan spell?!

That’s where it dosen’t add up when you see transfer activity of other clubs.

Stevenage signed these three on 5th January:

Lost one of their last 15 league games!!!

4 Likes