Proudest moment

We also travelled back to Bloxwich with no windows in the coach, and it was a cold night !

1 Like

Can beat that, we had our windows put through AND i ended up with a black eye :joy:

I will raise you a black eye because our mate was so ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  when we got there (our coach parked outside the Anfield Arms pub) he went in the pub and stayed there until the game was over. We had to go into the pub to get him back on the coach after the game and all hell broke loose. Various black eyes and misshapen noses later we ended up at the pub opposite the Camelot in Bloxwich about 2am and stayed there till about 6.

1 Like

respect :facepunch: :joy:

Youā€™re right WalsallOne, he did go to the Leckie. As well as the steak diet he was told to drink raw eggs & milk!

I remember after beating arsenal at Highbury we were waiting to board the train at Highbury Station, as the train pulled up everyone moved forward to board it and got showered with bottles from the bridge above. We totally outplayed them that night but anfield was the best, Liverpool were the Kings of Europe in the late 70ā€™s and 80ā€™s and we matched them that night almost winning it late on, Iā€™ll never forget the sight of the kop cheering our players at the end. The mad thing was we didnā€™t just hope to win the second leg, we genuinely expected to win.

2 Likes

Missed Arsenal and Liverpool, so Iā€™ll put in one thatā€™s a little left field.

May 28 1988. Winning the penalty shoot out against Brizzle to determine whoā€™d host the D3 play-off replay. Felt like weā€™d won it already. Two days later we stuffed them 4-0.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if this is an urban myth but I recall reading somewhere that Bill Moore had him drinking Guiness to build him up. Anything in that I wonder?

Was at Arsenal, Rotherham, Liverpool, Watford, Coventry, Blades etc thanks Dad!
Was also at some of the best more recent epics - Leeds, West Ham, Torquay, Notts County (various), Brizzle, Swindon, Shrews, Bunderland, Maccs etc

But Iā€™ll have to say my proudest moment was being in the vanguard of liberating assorted parafinalia off some good natured / whinging Reading kids and parents as they passed through the dense Walsall throng and then giving Franksey a load of dogā€™s abuse prior to the game at Cardiff. If you were there, youā€™ll know the place. Some kind of nasty pub bottleneck.

We began giving it them back, but some, ā€˜someā€™ ended up stamping on and gobbing on scarves and setting them alight. The police came and I dutifully offered to help look for the miscreants (I didnā€™t), but they went away again. My uncle and cousins rocked up too, shocked. Iā€™d had a few.

If there was a god, it would have assured that we would have lost that game, but we didnā€™t, we won thanks to Rougierā€™s football faceplant. :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face: Eat my flipping goal! Iā€™m sure the kids were lamenting the injustice of the world. Good.

I also gave Merson persistent and vile abuse at Macclesfield away (with others) causing a polite and saddened security guard to come over and attempt to stop it as it was live on Sky, which was literally the only thing that occurred other than the ball episode.

The foolishness of yoof.

I worked with Trevor in the early 1970ā€™s at Tube Investments R&D centre on the old Aldridge Airport. We would go for a knockabout at lunchtimes but Trev would never risk damaging his precious legs as he was still scoring regularly for Brererton Social.
He was a very suave man without a hair out of place and wore his lab coat slightly off the shoulder a la Del Boy.
Still bump into him at some home games, a genuinely lovely man and still a Saddler after all these years.

2 Likes

The Guinness story is partly true & partly a myth. After training my dad would go to a pub that was run by a friend of Bill Moore for his steak lunch. With his lunch, & totally of his own volition, he used to have a pint of Guinness. The local Guinness rep heard of this & presented my dad with a crate of the black stuff. Of course, this was reported in the local press along the lines of ā€œFootballer on steak & Guinness dietā€. This was good publicity for the pub, Guinness & probably WFC too.
Having said all that, I can imagine that what my dad was consuming was standard fare for the majority of footballers of the time.

1 Like

What a great night that was at Anfield - so many heroes. I was directly in line with Summerfield when he scored: me and my dad went wild. Other great memories were beating Newcastle and Man U in the FA Cup, the 4-4 at Watford, Cardiff, Wembley and drawing 0-0 with Liverpool in1968 at Fellows Park. But Iā€™m sure a play-off win next May would top most of the above.

1 Like

There are actually quite a lot during my time. Possibly over twenty which would make it one big special time every couple of years.

The day we won promotion the first time under Sir Ray is possibly the best. Absolutely nobody expected it, not least us. The season started with Ray who? and looked like a team of mistakes, mishapes and misfits. Replacing Boli and Peron with Rammell and Wrack at the time looked like the usual summer farce. So that day against Oldham was the culmination of a near miracle.

In completely different circumstances I was also really proud twelve months later. Ipswich away. Relegated but still united. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen players, staff and fans so together at a time of what should have been trauma.

The day we stood in solidarity with Fulham on their day of action was also quite a proud moment.

Loads more but a special mention to the way the club and fans responded to the murder of three of our ā€œfamilyā€ in Tunisia.

7 Likes

The night we beat Man Utd 3-2 in the 3rd round of the FA cup in January 1975 at fellows park.Iā€™ll always remember looking over and seeing my mate Keith (Titchy) Rogers crying his eyeā€™s out,what a night.For the younger members of the site I must explainā€¦The 3rd round of the FA cup is in that week in January when Walsall normally have a free weekā€¦:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Certainly the Liverpool 2-2 draw is the pinnacle for me. I was there with my Dad. I cant hear 'Radio Gaga, Girls just want to have fun etc without thinking of that night having sat in a pub before the game and heard those coming out the jukebox and feeling so nervous I could hardly sip on me lager. There may have been bigger games and going to Wembley but that still stands out as the best memory for me. Liverpool were at the height of their power. Amazing night.

3 Likes

Anfield was a fantastic night! It was the days of singing ā€œHere we go, Here we go ā€¦ā€ rather than the inventiveness of Wednesbury Road, Luke Leahyā€™s song etc. I am not a great singer but I did join in that night.
One of my strongest memories is driving home and having on ā€˜Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlandsā€™ really, really loud & singing along. Strange what sticks in your mind.

1 Like

The minersā€™ strike was on at the time, and they adopted ā€œ'ere we go.ā€-but I donā€™t know exactly when they did. Iā€™ve often wondered whether that was because of us at Anfield, and the wish for a similar upset against all odds.

We were definitely singing it at Rotherham in the quarter-final. Even my old man, a dyed in the wool Thatcherite was joining in, though I doubt that he twigged the minerā€™s strike connection!

But were the miners singing it then? I donā€™t the strike started until just after Anfield. So did they get it from us, I wonder.

Yes you are right - the strike started in March 1984. I was sure that we had picked up the song from the miners, but it must just be my aging memory playing tricks on me.