Recognisable First XI

I work with a lot of folks from different nations and they often ask me ‘what famous players have played for your team?’. So on the bus this morning I was thinking - can we come up with a recognisable (to an average premiers*** fan) first 11? They could have just played a couple of games for us.

To be topical…Roberto Martinez is my pick.

Of recent Premier League fame, Scott Dann and Chris Baird

1 Like

Merson. Vinny Samways

Allan Picken only played a couple of times for us :wink:

There are loads, in fairness.

Steve Staunton, Mark Kinsella, Craig Burley, Michael Ricketts, Troy Deeney, John Ruddy, Karl Darlow, Neil Pointon, Mark Robins, Julian Joachim- just off the top of my head- all had decent spells in the top flight at some point.

Derek Mountfield, Tony Daley, Ronnie Ekelund, Paul Hall…

Have to throw Fitzroy Simpson and Samassi Abou in there!

Allan Clark roger boil Phil parks

Gary O’Neil,scott Dann,chris Baird,neil ethridge,steve Claridge.

Steve Staunton - good call. I am getting lots of ammunition here :slight_smile:

Of course, due to an unfathomable phenomenon that has little to do with actual football, every Herbert & his brother has heard of Will Grigg these days.

Haha, good point

As well as Martinez, Ricky Sbragia, Craig Shakespeare and Alan Buckley all went on to manage in the top flight - and still on the managerial front, Dave Mackay, Chris Nicholl, Ray Graydon, Coln Lee are “well known” names who have been with the club.

Mick Kearns, Bert Williams and Mark Wallington are some more keepers who people may have heard of.

And no one has mentioned David Kelly!!

1 Like

Yeah these two keepers, totally forgotten that they played a few games for us to be honest.

Matty Fryatt would be worth throwing into the mix, played a handful of games in the top flight I believe, Andrew Surman too

2 Likes

Including an FA Cup final

So I would potentially have this as my 11, all very subjective on age regarding who is most ‘recognisable’:

Grigg Deeney
Merson Martinez Samways Kinsella
Staunton Dann Mountfield Baird
Ruddy

1 Like

Ricketts

Was he the Frenchman that invented the kettle?

3 Likes

The man that started the plague

:rofl: bloody predictive text on iPad :grin:

1 Like