Recruitment is key this summer

That’s the saddest indictment isn’t it?

Morris, leahy, Devlin, cook, terrier, Dobson… everyone seemed to be saying good riddance and yet wouldn’t they all walk into this team? I’d even say Guthrie might have been ok at this level.

However, when players become so used to losing, there is sometimes a justification for clearing them out and bringing in a new attitude around the club and, fair play to the manager and the players, they’re a bunch who try hard and generally don’t let their heads drop.

1 Like

I think Pring has done that job regularly when fully fit to be fair … but he won’t be here next season.

Don’t think there is any doubt we will need full backs next year. A winger. And a Striker. Replacement for Guthrie. Sub Keeper or retain Rose. Can’t see us doing all that business to be honest.

1 Like

I’d agree with your point about pring, he’s had a decent season.

As for replacing the massive contribution that Guthrie has made to our season, well I just can’t see how that’s going to be possible.

1 Like

I thought Pring was to good for this level when i first saw him at Northampton, then he went on a run of indifferent games that made him look non league? maybe the rest of our bad defending bought him down?

Nature of the beast with the modern full back perhaps? Like leahy, he’s always struck me as someone who offers far more going forward than he does defensively.

2 Likes

Well less about replacing his contributions and more finding a player capable of what he was supposed to be in the first place. Ie a ball winning midfielder that can turn defence into attack with a great passing range.

I think he wasn’t fully fit and possibly was rushed back because Clarke doesn’t trust CCM/Jules. I’ve been impressed whenever he’s had a decent run of games.

2 Likes

Why wouldn’t you include Perry and Bates . They are both old enough and good enough.
Perry gave the best midfield performance of any Walsall player this season against a very good Portsmouth team , he was MOTM .
There is absolutely no reason for him not to be in the squad this season and next .

2 Likes

Ay? I explained in my post that Bates would be one of the 10 I chose to be a player to build a promotion chasing side around and explained I’d obviously keep Perry but that he wouldn’t be a starter in a promotion chasing side next season.

2 Likes

Why not , he is better than what we have

Have you seen Sam Perry play ?

4 or 5 quality additions is what we need pre season as well as getting rid of a few. Guthrie in particular who must be on a good wedge and stealing it . We have a few decent youngsters Perry Bates and Nolan etc who with the right players around them will come good next year .
To me next season is a BIG season because if we don’t get quality (pay the wages) over quantity we could well struggle in this poor league or worse for some time .

1 Like

However bad this season has been we are not that far away from a play off team, on away form we are sixth in the league, a bit of creativity behind Poutine Lavery and Gordon Lightfoot and with more experience First PM MacDonald to dazzle us we will be ok up front next year , with fear the beard Sinclair in the middle staying fit , Guthrie replaced by said creativity who isnt in the knackers yard , another year on CCM and a second new full back brought in and we could be solid at the back with the 27 centre halves we have signed up and Perry and Bates supporting both another year older we will be all ok

I am not saying we will runaway Champions but it will be better than this year, problem is the division itself will be a lot stronger with Bolton Tranpmere and Southend all here to add to fun, so it will be a challenge for the playoffs hopefully

To confirm yes Recruitment is key so lets go out and find ourselves the next David Preece to run the middle of the park, the next Kenny Mower to charge down the wing from left back and for the hell of it the next Dale Banton so we have some one to yell out of town. UTS

2 Likes

Why so much uproar now? Last season recruitment phase was really marquee. More seriously, one more prolific striker, two if Gordon leaves this summer, box to box midfielder (not afraid of physical battles at the middle of the pitch every 180 mins every week), if Sheron won’t be such player (I know he is loaned, but it would be strange, if it is not loan before signing deal), at least one, but better two offensive players, not afraid of creating something. So, in total, 4-6 new players, I hope better than current ones, but of course budget can play rather important part.

1 Like

With the games we have remaining and most games are with teams above us if we win 8 of them can we still make the play-offs?

I don’t think so mate with this squad we are to unpredictable.

Regarding some of the ex squad who left who are at Tranmere now, it’s going great for them isn’t it…

2 Likes

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/international-football/hartlepool-united-manager-dave-challinor-hoping-tie-down-permanent-summer-signings-mark-shelton-and-gary-liddle-salford-city-and-walsall-1574415

Some of them not coming back will help tremendously i.e Mr Liddle

As we can’t go out and pay for the Eoin Doyle’s of this world ,A target man is a must. We simply do not make the ball stick

I’m assuming this what meant to be Adebayo but less said about that the better

2 Likes

Reference Adebayo and Marcus Stewart I would probably say in Stewarts defence you can try as hard as you can with a striker improving certain things and working on him but if the striker doesn’t have that natural instinct strikers need of being in the right place at the right time you cant really train that in to them just a thought

1 Like