Recruitment is key this summer

I don’t really buy into the Adebayo criticism. When you look at scoring rates in the league he’s actually not far off Lavery and better than Josh Gordon:

Lavery 8 Goals in 2017 minutes (252 minutes per goal)
Gordon 7 Goals in 2065 minutes (295 minutes per goal, admittedly some played outwide)
Adebayo 5 Goals in 1330 minutes (266 minutes per goal)

He also has a better shots on target ratio than the other two (58 percent to 57 and 53 respectively). (stats from BBC website).

All in all, 20 goals at this point of the season for all three is about as good a return as you can expect considering the number of chances a game we create. Yeah they’ve missed chances but you are going to get that in League Two. I think only having one winger and no creative midfielders is far more of an issue.

4 Likes

Stats do shock you sometimes. I am not being funny but it does feel like Lav is way better than the other 2.

I totally agree, I’m not saying he’s better than either of them in fact and I also agree stats don’t tell the whole story.

What I do think is some of the criticism is over the top and we have bigger issues in this squad than Adebayo. That’s what I take from those stats.

2 Likes

With our finances the only way we’re going to be successful is by following the “Crewe model”, we need to be getting game time into whatever talented youngsters we have, certainly Bates and Perry. And going forward we need to sign our own equivalent of their Powell and Porter, ie. experienced forwards, one of whom can lead the line when necessary, the other positionally versatile. Forget 4 and 5 signings, and scale down the use of all these loan players, get a couple of quality experienced forwards in. If Crewe can do it on their budget there’s no reason why we can’t, its just good management over time that’s got them where they are.

5 Likes

Those stats make Adebayo look quite good how you managed it I don’t know :rofl: but you did.

2 Likes

The club have announced we wont be attempting it this year but we might next ( if we all buy season tickets),

This. He’s clearly having a bad run of games, but he’s nowhere near as bad as some people are making out.

1 Like

Sorry, but yes he is, can’t shoot, can’t tackle (except himself) runs down blind alleys, adds nothing to the squad. His goals have been tap in’s at best, when he very occasionally does manage that!
How many reports from games have watchers said " If Adebayo had got that open goal it would have been a different match"
The lad will never make a footballer, end of. Notwithstanding oblique stats.

1 Like

Adebayo is very poor. I don’t understand how anybody can say he’s in poor form at the moment. When has he ever been in good form?

4 Likes

Sorry but if we are serious about getting out of this league , he is not the answer

1 Like

He can’t even win uncontested headers, pretty bad for someone 6’4"!

1 Like

I’ve said it before, from a yard out he’s as good a finisher as any of our strikers.

1 Like

No, you’re wrong. Adebayo was signed to give us all a laugh and make us think that Guffney isn’t that bad after all. We must get rid of Adebayo, Guffney and Guthrie at the end of the season.

1 Like

My fear is that Guthrie is on a 2 year deal .:see_no_evil:

2 Likes

In which case, Clarke deserves credit for a successful signing.

1 Like

He’s like a fairy on a gob of lard!

Me too, but hopefully it’s one year with a possible year’s extension in our favour. It’s nearly March and he still can’t manage 90 minutes. I feel that he has been the most disappointing signing we have made given that he’s got Premier League experience and we expected him to boss midfield for us. All he has done is take a big slice of our meagre wage bill with little or no return.

3 Likes

Peter Crouch of lower leagues. For me Ade is a player, entering senior footy for the first time ever. So he needs time to get used to it. Maybe he will never be a player for higher leagues, but level 3-4? He can be good striker there. Now he has similar problem like Guthrie. Is one or two thoughts too far. And usually there is marking player breathing down his neck, so can be difficult to play and show some qualities. But later? Who knows. I would keep him for the next season.

1 Like

I’m very certain it was a one year

2 Likes

Thank god :pray:t2:

1 Like