Recruitment

I likes Walter Otta… thought he was decent.

2 Likes

I think his other goal was at Macclesfield. Typical goal from that season. Wrack run half the length of the pitch to square it for him for an easy goal.

2 Likes

Are you from bristol

:rofl: I think I had a few that night mate!

1 Like

I’m a fine one to talk

I always remember Siggi Eyjolfsson. I always thought he was useless but I’d take him anyday over the current lot. The current set up doesn’t work if you want success on the pitch long term . It’s what keeps teams stuck in the same division for years on end. Bringing in foreign players and taking risks gave us our best years which separated us from other clubs. Thing is the chairman’s now would rather bring through youth cause it brings in a bigger fee when we sell them. For me,we should be go back to bringing in foreign players again. They can’t be any worse than the current lot

2 Likes

Of the bigger names how was Roger Boli signed?

He’d finished joint top scorer of the French top diviison in 93-94 so would be a bit like signing Gignac now if people remember him playing for France a few years ago.

Was very well known in France due to his brother who played for France and Marseille. Zidane, Papin and Cantona all turned up for his testimonial match!

A little different to Peron who was already in the U.K at Ayr United so was probably doing the rounds for trials.

I do miss those days and remember more of the 2000s intake with Leitao obviously a club legend and Junior also coming in and looking good for half a season. Yes there were randoms who were s*** aswell but no transfer policy is 100% successful.

Money had the odd dabble with likes of Sonko and that other guy who came in halfway through 07/08 and barely played (think he was French midfielder?) and then DS early in his reign picked up Ledesma and Gbmarssin but slim picking since then, can’t recall the last regular foreign player in the 11 unless you claim Etheridge, Demetriou or Sawyers…!

Other clubs at this level can still pick up players…was reading about this Morecambe guy the other day although he was already U.K based.

1 Like

If I recall rightly there was a story about Boli thinking we were in a higher division than we actually were when he signed for us. It was still a bit of a coup though.

3 Likes

New rules from 1st January 2020 make it much harder for lower league sides to bring in players from Europe.

1 Like

Doesn’t make it harder for professional sportsmen. Makes it much harder for unskilled labour but I suppose all our players are unskilled :joy:

1 Like

Was the other one Herivelto

2 Likes

[How will Brexit impact Premier League transfers? The new points system and how it works | The Independent]

It will make it harder for professional players, even within the premier league. Very few of the foreign players who have played for us in the last 20 years would have qualified under this system.

During that period of bringing in foreign players, 90s and early noughties we brought the youth through as well. Ryder, Roper, Keates, Platt, Ricketts, Fryatt, Butler, and probably a couple at least I’ve forgotten. I think we need to try and get back to that.

2 Likes

The fact is Crawley had technical director or general manager of some sorts interviewed pre match on the BBC

No offence to Dan Mole I’m sure he’s great at making sure there are enough key rings in the club shop and that the big adverts are full but is he the man to make football decisions

Like wise with Gamble. Seems well qualified to run the business but does he have contacts can bring in players ? Control a scouting network ?

Crawley on the 23rd biggest crowds in the Division have a bit of a plan

We have … DC bringing in lads from Bristol

Sort it out Walsall fc

2 Likes

This is a major part of our downfall as a club, for god sake Pomlett wake up and show these two slugs the door and appoint staff that know what to do :pray:

Interesting bit about Crawley is that the bbc said they have the lowest 0laying budget in our league.
Yet still manage to get Tom Nicollls and some kids ex Brentford and Spurs. They also had PACE up front, anyone remember pace ? Not played for us for a couple of years

3 Likes

I’ve said this time and again, Gamble and Mole aren’t going anywhere.
They both have a good working relationship (maybe friendship) with PL and, imho, have done an outstanding job managing the COVID-19 crisis.
I seriously doubt if they would have been retained when Leigh became chairman he didn’t have confidence in them.

1 Like

Christ what have they done!!! Aired a few video calls telling us they have a daily chat about the current situation, that they’ve put stickers on the seats indicating where you can sit!!! Put 2 metre markings on the floor by the bogs and kiosks!! Or perhaps they’ve volunteered to " jab arms" the only jabbing these 2 are capable of is on the vending machine, can I live in your world.

I sense that beard needs to come off and you need to be released in the summer to free up some cash for a player who’s better than yourself.

2 Likes

I Diao think so, @Larryhaggler

Then again, I might be mistaken too! :joy: