Reserves thrashed again!

Well that’s stupid then.

So we’ve opted to keep the players apart have we?
So much for knocking down the walls in the dressing rooms to avoid cliques amongst the squads!!!
Oh, and we’re not entirely covid free anyway, are we? (Kiernan and Taylor).
We’re making it easy for the club to make excuses.

1 Like

Leigh Pomlett thinks the reserves should be 5 or 6 points better off.

2 Likes

As I posted in the other thread:-
I made the mistake of going to watch our “reserve” team’s 5-0 defeat against Preston North End. It was our youth team against their reserve team (an U23 side, I estimate). It was men against boys and embarrassing to watch. I asked why the likes of Rose, Bates, Perry, Leak, Willock or even players out on loan at lower league clubs were not involved. The answer? They have to be kept in their separate covid “bubbles” (Full professionals and apprentices). What utter tripe! They all train at Essington, don’t they? Other clubs still mix their age groups.

I felt sorry for Matt Sadler, the manager. The old saying about silk purses and sows’ ears sprang to mind. They, as a group, are clearly conditioned to losing their games. Their body language was poor and there was no “spark” or life about their play. How is this developing our apprentices? Other members of staff were conspicuous by their absence from Matt Taylor down to Miguel Llera. Will any of those lads earned a pro contract at the end of their apprenticeship? I very much doubt it.

3 Likes

A good way to breed winners! :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

I posted sometime ago that I thought the reason for these selections might be about COVID bubbles and it certainly explains the heavy defeats in"reserve" fixtures. It doesn’t explain however the heavy defeats which happen every time the Youth team play against other youth teams although we were told it was because we had hardly any second year players. If that is the case then most of the lads will have a second year when, hopefully, they can be properly assessed.
Thanks for the report anyway and for clarifying what is happening. Pity the Club couldn’t tell us though…

And if we did do that, I’m sure you will be very understanding when the ‘loads that don’t work’.

What ‘money is being thrown around’ ? They are a bunch of 16/17 year old kids.

The academy costs a lot.It covers all ages from 8 upwards I think and I support it. It is a vital part of the club’s relationship with the wider community in Walsall.I know a number of youngsters who have benefitted from its existence. To wind it up would be a big mistake in my view. Clearly something has not been right at the “top end” for a year or two and one of the tasks of the DoF is to get it sorted. I would like to think we can all hope he does a good job.The Club is slated continually on here for reasons I can understand but it does do some very good work in this area.
The development of youngsters as footballers and more broadly as men is something every club should do in my opinion. If a Club wishes to be close to its community then something like an Academy programme is a must.

4 Likes

We have been investing 50% of transfer income into this shower of shit for years with hardly a decent player emerging (apart from Rico).
Piss poor

2 Likes

Did you read my post? it is not as you describe it…it is a key provision of a community club…

I would hope and expect Fullerton to have been there, after all he’s the gaffer of this isn’t he ? It must come u dear his remit and I would also expect him to show a keen interest tin this area

No we haven’t. Bonser’s line was 50% first team, 50% “other”.

1 Like

And he came from the Blues.

And if we had scrapped the academy, he wouldn’t have signed for us at all

Seems to be confirmed about the first team being separated from the youth team and in bubbles for reserve matches.

Problem is it’s hindering those who need match time to aid recovery

Point was we didn’t scout and develop him.

Explain how we didn’t develop him ?

1 Like

That explains a lot of the things that are going on.Is it the right policy though? I have my doubts but I expect the Club have received advice from some expert!!!

Very true it costs but a lot of those youngsters pay their own way to be in the development sections.

Between £30 - £60 per half term and they buy their own kits too.

1 Like

Henry joined Walsall when he was 11!!!