Russell Martin

Cheers for that all, we’re still not clear then!

WBA cb options:

Kyle Bartley
Craig Dawson
Hegazi
Adarabioyo

He won’t be starting ahead of any of those so can only see WBA recalling him if they want to sell him to someone else like Tyler Roberts last season.

As we saw today Devlin is hardly untouchable at RB given he got subbed so think we’ll see Martin in this time at RB first and then eventually moved to the centre.

A Blues fan at work says he’s heard they’re signing him in January.

I think there’s some very premature talk.
Winter is coming and we will need plenty of defenders with seasonal injuries and suspensions coming.

Generally that’s the agreement these days. Season long loan with option to recall but only in the window (as clubs can only register players in that window…although not sure if that applies to players under 21).

quality on saturday added some much needed know how and experience to the defence.

1 Like

But we still leaked two goals in the last few minutes. How many times this season have we leaked a goal in the last minutes? and how many points has it cost us? (Not as many as it might as we have often been 2 goals up at that point). I hope Martin will help plug that particular hole in our defence. Just think: if we had beaten Caccrington (as we should) where we’d be now :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Some contributors have hinted that Martin’s fitness level is not up to standard. That is quite understandable in view of his lack of competitive games since being released.

BUT … if he isn’t match fit what on earth is he doing on the pitch? Our defence has enough problems without having to carry anyone resembling a passenger, surely?

2 Likes

i’m afraid i’ll have to agree , i’m sorry but i didn’t see that much from him tbh

Because we have shipped a few goals in our games, and having a player of his stature in the side would be fantastic match fit or not,deano probably thought that his knowledge of the game could make a massive difference but as i have said in another thread, you need 11 players pulling together not 4 or 5.

2 Likes

Agree, the whole team needs to improve defensively. At the start of the season we were engaging teams and getting in their faces, now we’ve started letting them play without pressing the ball. We barely laid a glove in midfield on Saturday and that puts pressure on the back four.

5 Likes

With Fitzwater out, do we actually have any other players who can play centre defence?

1 Like

only in the youth team i think? chambers has played there but still out at the moment.

We have Johnson, the lad on loan from the Dingles.

2 Likes

Hmmm, given that he hasn’t played a single minute in the football league, I’m not sure he counts! Lucky that we signed Martin when we did.

We’ve got no better at defending since he signed.

In fact, I think we’ve got worse.

He’s good at pointing and talking at the same time though so not a complete waste.

6 Likes

2 bad signings for me .at a time when we can I’ll afford to make mistakes when bringing players in . OSBOURNE not fit enough and has no stamina (non league player) and MARTIN had high hopes when he came in . But we seem worse defensively with him in the team.

Agreed …I made a similar point a couple of weeks ago. Fitzwater a much better option and maybe Johnson after his performance against Sunderland. Having said that we need to defend as a team and Morris in particular doesn’t help in that regard.

3 Likes

I am so so disappointed in Martin.

He’s crap. Fitzwater is better, there, I said it. Time to drop your mate Keates. Past it. And no, no overreacting here. He started well then went completely downhill. He’s too off the pace and he seems to make a mistake every game. Get rid at the end of the season.

Let’s remember he hasn’t had a pre season. Not defending him but he’s obviously a better player than Fitzwater and Guthrie.

To be honest, I’d like to see him next to Fitzwater who has more pace than the slow Guthrie.

I think it’s aboit partnerships at the back - and Martin/Guthrie isn’t working, and let’s not pretended Guthrie/Fitzwater was any better either.

1 Like

Guthrie’s head and shoulders