Salary Caps

1.25m for L2, should really level the playing field for us, provided it’s enforced…

1 Like

‘It is suggested clubs would have a season’s grace in which to comply with the new measures, while clubs relegated from the Championship would also require a transition period given the disparity in player earnings and income between the second and third tiers.’ - taken from article.
I wouldn’t give them that. It should be in players’ contracts that if they are relegated then they either leave or fall into line the that division’s salary cap. I think speedway operate on similar lines but with points achieved by riders and often teams lose their best riders as the average for the team is too high. It keeps speedway fresh and on a level playing field.

5 Likes

From the title, thought this was going to be another thread advertising things ISSA are selling in their online shop! :rofl:

3 Likes

I believe that this is the way to go , stops Bury like situations developing and evens the playing field.
The main thing though it will show exactly how good your manager is regarding recruitment and the development of players , but even more important it will make sure that our own young players are given a real chance

If they give them a year it’s a licence to cheat.
Just like the current parachute payment which celebrates and rewards losers and cheats… In my opinion of course :nerd_face:

2 Likes

£1.25mm? Where are we going to find the money?

2 Likes

Extract from WFC Accounts 2019
Wages & salaries £3,468,000

That’ll be all employees, not just the squad…

Correct but no one knows the breakdown between squad payments and other staff because it’s hidden in that global figure.
What we all would like to know is the actual figure being spent on players, it might help if the club were more honest in their pronouncements - they apparently know the figures of every other club in our league [how?] but never disclose our own.

1 Like

Simply, a grand a week average times a squad of 25, plus a couple of yoof. I’d say bang on the proposed cap.

Here’s a few more figures:-
Directors remunerations £182k
Directors pensions £ 11k
Pension deficit £ 97k
Other pensions £ 29k
Pension other costs £ 45k
Sub total £364k

Our playing budget has been circa 2-2.5mil over the past few years in L1.

Based on that we should be able to compete in L1 as well.

Bet clubs find a way around this, or it’s badly enforced, like FFP.

1 Like

There’s a salary cap in Australia’s NRL. Clubs are regularly hauled up after finding yet another way around it. The EFL could do worse than examine everything that’s been discovered there and ban it up front.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of this idea, but I’ve no doubt it will be implemented poorly

3 Likes

Thought I had read they are proposing a squad of 20 + 8 homegrown making up your squad.

Article at the top says 20 senior professionals with 8 home grown academy players within that group.

Personally I love the idea but I do worry that if they include a 1 year grace period they are setting up for each league to have a core set of clubs and then yo-yo clubs who just keep getting promoted and relegated due to the unfair advantage of having more to spend each year.

3 Likes

Indeed. It’s bad enough now when teams like Sunderland arrive in league 1 with a £20 million parachute payment, but if all of the other teams are limited to £2.5 million how is there going to be any fair competition?

2 Likes

I presume payments for “image rights” are one way around a salary cap?!

1 Like

and payments in kind, preferential loans, use of company facilities like cars and houses etc. Brown paper envelopes still come into it, believe it or not. Payments are made to third party shell companies for ‘services’ and that gets dispersed as hidden payments to players. Pretty much every year there’s a salary cap scandal at one NRL club or another.

2 Likes