Salford fans

On a lighter note , seems Salford are laying on transport for all the away following .

1 Like

Cheaper than a coach theyā€™ll never fill.

1 Like

Thatā€™s 3/4 of their fan base right there.Iā€™m struggling to remember such a joke of a club in recent times.

3 Likes

They spent a lot in the club shopā€¦

The depressing thing about youā€™re comment joke of a club mate is itā€™s yet another club that with your Barrows , Harrogate , FGR , Sutton united etc etc are all on a upward spiral when we are going lower than a snakes belly .

2 Likes

Thatā€™s true mate we do make a yearly 24K profit though :wink:

Iā€™d leave Barrow out of that list. They are a proper, old FL club.

2 Likes

Sorry yes , but you know what iā€™m trying to say Fish , there are so many clubs we regarded years ago as Mickey Mouse but who is that at the moment ā€¦

1 Like

I do. Iā€™d add MK Dons to the list.

1 Like

Also Fleetwood, Burton, Crawley, Stevenage, and to lesser extents Cheltenham, Wycombe, Morecambe, and Wigan.

I remember we beat Wycombe on NYD 1994, it was a very good game and a large crowd, many of whom were away fans. At the time it was a relief to win as we hadnā€™t won a game in January since 1988 :joy: I think, iirc, that including a couple of F A Cup games, we hadnā€™t won for 25 or 26 matches. It was starting to become a bit of a thing, and it was good to get it out of the way.

Proper Clubs currently not in the league [I remember having Football league ladders as a Child]

Chesterfield
Halifax Town
Wrexham
Notts Country
Grimsby Town
Stockport County
Torquay
Aldershot
Southend United
Southport [Replaced by Wigan Athletic]
York City
Hereford United
Darlington
Chester
Workington [replaced by Wimbledon]
Bradford Park Avenue [Replaced by Cambridge United] - I was really too young for Bradford as was only 5 or 6 when they disappeared but every list of proper clubs should have the Bradford FC on their

Do Wimbledon count as a proper club they after all replaced Workington and worse still what about Wigan who replaced Southport .

If Wimbledon had never replaced the football dynasty of Workington [which after all gave the world Bill Shankly and football been played in Workington since 1775 or so they claim] would the MK Dons fiasco have materialized, and as for Southport they were simply robbed of a Football league spot by the reelection process, only a four years before they had actually won the 4th Division. Southport were the last club to be voted out of the league. At the end of the day the good ā€œpeopleā€ of Wigan back in the day only cared about Rugby League and despite a couple of runs in the FA Cup had no interest in the round ball game.

I think Martin Oā€™Neil was their manager at the time? 4-2 if I remember rightly. I vaguely remember Lillis may have scored which should be memorable in itself :grinning:

Why not go back to two up and down, no playoffs, re-election and laced footballs stinking of dubbin.

1 Like

Yes, Martin Oā€™Neil was the Manager, it was their first season in the League and they went straight up, so that was a good win for us.
Lillis scored one of the goals, he was a big donkey but weā€™ve had strikers with worse scoring records than him.
I think we only missed out on the play-offs by a few points, but without ever looking much good, at least as an attacking team. The defence was good (Walker, Evans and Watkiss all playing for the first time) but up front, a bit powder-puff.

Thatā€™s the most poxy thing Iā€™ve ever seen; itā€™s like a hen night. Iā€™d sooner bloody walk.

2 Likes

Agree wholesale with the thrust of your post, but I never counted Hereford as a ā€˜properā€™ Football League club. They were elected to the League 1972-ish after that FA Cup win over Newcastle. The match that launched John Motsonā€™s career as commentator, so theyā€™ve a lot to answer for.

3 Likes

And cup runs and 8,000 attendances :grinning:

1 Like

Hereford have just gone to being a full time professional club again, and my nephew has been offered the goalkeeping coach job, they had a crowd of 4000 against Kidderminster the other week.
We have followed his career from taking him to kids football, being at Brownhills Coltā€™s, Walsall, Wolves, county, Chasetown, Lichfield, walsall wood as a player.
To his goalkeeping coaching at Walsall Wood, Alvechurch, Boldmere SM, and we have become part time supporters of all the clubs, but i told him i draw the line at Hereford :joy: it is to close to making me feel like a traitor :joy:

Yes had a few lively visits to Edgar Street back in the day! The Minnie the Moocher video on Youtube has made that day famous but there were plenty of other times, it was always lively there

1 Like