Scott Laird

What’s his mom like? Hope she isn’t the fiery type if he doesn’t get picked😳

2 Likes

It’s his nan you need to watch out for! Incidentally she is also paying his goal bonus for us.

2 Likes

Interestingly I had heard the opposite of James Wilson and that he didn’t particularly want to sign for us permanently towards the end of his spell.

1 Like

‘Us’ or Whitney?

1 Like

He can’t get into Forest Green Rovers’ team for a reason and, like Osbourne, we are about to find out why! Cant wait…

Being a lovely fella and infectious doesn’t win you football matches.

1 Like

Wasn’t Whitney.

Tune in next week to soap to find out (one for the older members there)….:grin:

Pretty obvious why we’ve signed him. Keates wants a left back who can actually defend but we have no budget/unwilling to pay a fee. No quality full back will be out of contract in jan.

Either we get Laird, a safe bet (well as safe as an out-of-favour league 2 player can be) or rummage around in non-league.

As usual, fingers should be pointed at the top, not Keates.

5 Likes

Why? He’s signing laird. I understand your point about where we have to shop but why does he keep looking at players who were here long before he was and about whom he presumably has little knowledge. This really smacks of desperation by a manager who has set up a scouting system, who seem only able to come up with names of players who used to be here.

As for laird, not as good as leahy, not been playing so it will take him at least a month to be physically and, more importantly, mentally match fit. Desperate, desperate signing and I think a few may have to eat their words about leahy who, if nothing else, is one of our main outlets for a pass when we’re going forward.

1 Like

Underwhelmed

1 Like

Yes, but if Laird is all our budget allows then what can we realistically expect? It’s not great, but it shouldn’t be pinned on Keates.

You’re that confident Keates made this signing?

1 Like

Yes, of course. Ridiculous conspiracy theory to suggest otherwise. He’s the manager, he’s in charge of signings. The only other plausible explanation is that he hasn’t got an ounce of dignity and is standing by whilst others undermine him and I don’t have him down for that.

A cynic might suggest that the club have brought in Laird, a cheap and popular short-term solution, in order to facilitate the cash sale of Leahy.

He said, cynically.

He doesn’t have to sign laird. There will be other players available on similar money. Just because our budget is poor doesn’t mean there is only one possible player we can sign. So yes, it is keates’ responsibility and if, as some suggest, this isn’t his signing, I’d expect him to have the dignity to walk away.

I’m quite sure leahy will be sold, for a reasonable sum, and another team will have a decent player. But how is it the club that have signed laird? It’s keates surely? The manager is responsible for signings at our club

Is it? You said yourself, why would Keates be particularly interested in players that were here before he was? Because we’ve been linked with a ridiculous number of them to be coincidence.

On the other hand Laird is a very popular figure with fans who are non too pleased with how the club is run at the moment. Call it ridiculous all you want, I don’t think it is.

1 Like

In that case call me a cynic. I think he’s a very convenient fan favourite to bring back at a very convenient time.

Was 9/11 all a set up as well?

As I say, if you’re correct, then the only course of action open to keates is to walk away as soon as possible

Of course, the more obvious explanation is that he’s being given tips on who to bring in by someone who was at the club at the time. Is Ward the common factor?

1 Like

I spoke to a Scunthorpe fan this week who said their chairman is well known for ‘strongly advising’ signings to the management and facilitating those moves. Not beyond comprehension that our board would do the same.

1 Like