Some of the BEST players to don a Walsall shirt

John Hodge, literally unplayable on his day :+1:t2:

1 Like

Romaine Sawyers. Top one for me. The fact that he’s now one of the Championship’s best midfielders, playing as an ‘8’ rather than a ‘10’ as he did for us shows the talent and ability he has.

Also worth mentioning Emmanuel Ledesma, two separate short spells but it was obvious that he was a cut above when he was here and is still playing in MLS.

3 Likes

I’d be very surprised if Romaine isn’t playing in the Premier league next season.

3 Likes

Jimmy Walker, Jorge Leiteo. Two heroes growing up.

Rammell was an absolute handful in my first season, fond memories. Wrack, Samways.

More recently Sawyers. What an immense talent he is, we were so lucky. Special reference to that goal at Blackpool.

3 Likes

Yep, ability and reading of the game Sawyers was absolute gold.

1 Like

One of my favourites when I was younger.

2 Likes

Mart O’Connor, Jeff Peron, Jimmy Walker, Jorge Leitao, Romaine Sawyers.

3 Likes

The Lightbourne/Wilson partnership - more than 50 goals from just the 2 of them alone during our promotion winning season of 94-5.

8 Likes

Sure I remember in that season that Killer, Kevin Wilson, MOC, Scott Houghton and Chris Marsh all scored 10 goals plus. What a team that was.

7 Likes

Oztumer. Amazingly I remember several posters saying they wouldn’t take him back this season if the opportunity arose.

4 Likes

Any Walsall player that makes it to the top league is absolutely head and shoulders above the rest.

Walker, Dann, Etheridge, Deeney, Fryatt all are exceptional

I never saw him play but when you read about Alan Clarke too you can barely imagine a Walsall player repeating what he did in this day and age. Absolutely unbelievable.

5 Likes

Jimmy Walker was possibly our best ever keeper and looking back it is amazing he didn’t leave us much earlier in his career to play at a higher level and get more money.

5 Likes

Such a shame he got injured in that play off final, which saw him miss the whole of the next season, and on his debut in the prem he they played Portsmouth and lost 4-2, pretty much the end of his career :pensive:

Last few years we’ve had a habit of making our best player a scapegoat. Really is bizarre.

1 Like

He was worth 10 extra points a season, minimum.

2 Likes

It was always mooted that his lack of height was the reason no one from higher came in for him, and the trend that most modern keepers have to be 6plus giants. For a fat lad he was incredibly agile, never afraid to come for a cross, and dont remember him dropping to many either.
On top of this an obvious love of what he was doing and infectious on field personality and enthusiasm.
Would agree Chriss that Jimmy Walker was possibly not only our greatest ever keeper, but also one of the best players.

6 Likes

… and Michael Ricketts.

3 Likes

Are you sure you’re posting that in the right thread?

Altogether - if Ricketts can play for England so can I! :laughing:

1 Like

And Martin Buttler

1 Like

There were some saves that he pulled off that he just shouldn’t have been anywhere near. Amazing he played for us for so long and never demanded a transfer fee in his whole career.

2 Likes