Someone who can cross a ball

And Vinney Samways :star_struck:

2 Likes

He was even better in his first loan spell in the championship. He’d possibly have kept us up if we’d have been able to keep him for the rest of the season

1 Like

I think Geoff Morris was pretty good, although as it was so long ago I may simply be saying that just because he was a winger.

That performance at Maine Road in his first spell was one of the most memorable individual performances I’ve seen from a Saddler. That was the last game he played for us, I think, until Dosh brought him back.

3 Likes

I agree Peron was the most technically gifted player I’ve ever seen at Walsall. Got everyone off their seats when he was on the ball because you knew something would happen and it would likely end with an attempt on goal.

Had the pleasure of seeing him up close as was in the family stand at the time as I took my nephew who was a lot younger then. He literally, and I mean literally would leave opposition players on their arse looking bewildered and thinking to themselves, what happened there, where’d the ball go?

3 Likes

I know he didn’t play that much for us, but wasn’t Jimmy Kelly capable of pinging over some decent crosses?

Had high hopes for Robbie Wilmott as someone who had a reputation as a superb crosser of the ball. Not hit the heights we had anticipated yet, but suspect he may be one Flynn gets in the summer and with a full pre-season could be a real asset next season. Agree with the original point though, I’ve been so disappointed with our set piece record this season which makes such a difference at this level.

3 Likes

Willie Naughton was a decent winger who could cross the ball, and his song was easy to learn as there were only seven words to it.

4 Likes

Kev’s free kick away at Barnet was a thing of beauty.

Not sure how I remember it as I was that pissed I fell through a privet :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Flynn told us he was the best crosser of a ball in the division. Then when he did play him he mostly played him in the center of midfield. Make of that what you will.

I genuinely pray we sign better than him for next season or I expect much of the same.

I don’t neccessarily think it’s that we haven’t got anyone who can cross the ball; it’s just as a team we always take one or two extra touches that slow the play down, allow defenders to set themselves and nullify any instinctive movement that the forwards make.

You watch any decent team and speed of play is key to their success - it may seem that the crosses are more accurate, that is probably part of it, but the key is that the defence don’t get time to set.

Watch us play and we delay everything

4 Likes

Would Mark Albrighton drop down to league two? From Tamworth and only going to be a bit part player elsewhere.

Currently, there’s very little down the left. Surely, he could bring out the best in Matt.

Very doubtful!!

Pedro mattaus ok spelt name wrong

1 Like

This is exactly right.

How many times do our wing backs actually get behind the defence or to the by line? They always seem to have to beat someone and inevitable fail to get the ball in. We never seem to play balls for our wide players to run on to to get the ball in quickly.

I remember Buckley always told his wide players to get the ball in early before the defenders could organise themselves. Uncertainty in the box is always good for defenders.