Stan Blandford

Yes, he’s often been.quoted in the E&S too. Paul Marston rated him as the best Walsall fan he’d come across during his years reporting on the club.

1 Like

Not sure about my settings I’ll check. The club do know about it but not through Issa but through the Walsall fc supporters Trust. If we could organise something that would be amazing and I think greatly appreciated by Stan. I don’t think there has ever been a more loyal Walsall fc fan than Stan

3 Likes

If a site administrator could kindly restore my message settings to their default I will kindly give details of the Nursing Home to anyone that messages me.

1 Like

Stan Blandford has sat next to me at Bescot since the ground opened and we were on the terraces together at Fellows Park. He is a good friend and the only match he has missed ,prior to lockdowns, was an FA cup tie away at Swansea when the West Midlands was covered in snow.That was in 1990!!! His condition is not life threatening but requires a lot of treatment. I will ring him Sunday to give him a report on the FGR game and will tell him of all the good wishes from folk on here.
His record of not missing a league game since 1976 will never be beaten in my view and after the match on Tuesday the Club have been made aware of his situation although knowing Stan as I do the last thing he will want is a fuss. We spoke on Wednesday morning and I told him that a number of people asked where he was and had sent their best wishes.

20 Likes

I don’t know Stan but I remember hearing his voice on WM many times over the years. Always looked forward to hearing his viewpoint.
Hope Stan gets well soon.
UTS Stan!

Stan is part of Walsall fc and its proud history.

3 Likes

Absolutely gutted by this…… Stan lived a few doors up from me and every Saturday and Tuesday I would see him walking past mine all hours of the day to get to and from the games. Before Covid struck he was having some serious walking issues and was really struggling to get up and down the road. I haven’t seen him for a while and we kept saying hope he’s okay. Will miss having a chat with him about the game on his way up the road. :disappointed_relieved: sending my best wishes Stan true saddler :red_circle::black_circle::white_circle::red_circle::black_circle::white_circle::red_circle::heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Stan doesn’t come on here but I will pass on your best wishes. I think you were at the Q and A session and asked some questions so I think I might be able to say who you are.

He was called the “terrace talker” when on WM. They had one from all the the League Clubs for a few years. He got to know Richard Wilford and Mike Taylor very well as well Clive Eakin who shared with Stan a love of cricket.

1 Like

There is much love and respect for Stan. I do know that some ex colleagues of his are also organising something.

6 Likes

Really sad to hear this. Used to stand near Stan at Fellows Park. Away from home he was a fixture. Always there. UTS

2 Likes

45 years without missing a league game is incredible I’ve seen him many times over the years as most of us have I doubt anyone could be a bigger supporter of a football club than Stan is.

3 Likes

Well the lad deserves some support for himself now which i think he will get :wink:

2 Likes

It is absolutely incredible. He has a massive knowledge of football league grounds etc and long before the day’s of digital and sat nav Chris Smith and Paul Marston The Express and Star and mail reporters used to rely on his navigation to the ground as he used to travel with them

2 Likes

I don’t know Stan but know of him,Part of the Walsall fc family and always will be,we must ensure he’s kept in the closely knit fan base, supported and kept up to date as much as possible , it’s the least we can do.

1 Like

One thing I was thinking is whether something could be set up for him to watch the games through I follow. He was never the most tech savvy so this would be impossible for him without assistance. Absolutely loves newspapers. Particularly all the non league ones.

3 Likes

I was born in 1976 and supported the club since 1983 and to think this guy hasn’t missed a home or away league game in all that time, absolutely amazing, whatever is organised I’d like to do something to show my support for a truly amazing saddler.

I bet there’s a lot of old fans sat there wanting to watch games who’s not tech savvy , we should look after these people and set something up for them,something should be in place , Chris Nicholl for example , I bet he’d love to watch games from his home

1 Like

Yes I was :+1:

1 Like

Quite simply all the best Stan.

Always good craik is Stan, loads of great little moments shared over the years, and hopefully many more to come.

4 Likes