Stephen Ward signs

Great signing , only downside is he’s 35 but if we can keep him fit it will be a great addition!

3 Likes

He’s had no dramas with fitness his whole career.

Season changing signing. Top drawer. Well done walsall football club.

10 Likes

Big fan of this signing. Only worry for me is his age, so I’d expect another, younger, left back to come in compete with him. We might be going from one of the youngest teams in the 92 to one of the oldest, not sure how I feel about that!

1 Like

Couldn’t give a ■■■■ if it means we are winning games again

1 Like

Must have played seven or eight seasons in the premier league and his whole career bar last season in the the top two tiers.

You just wonder about his legs and how the years have taken their toll.

1 Like

Thought you didn’t swear Sir Kenneth?:wink:

Absolutely fantastic signing.

We are not pishing around this season.

1 Like

Stoke fan at work describes him as an absolute beast. Told me not to worry about the age - he’d happily have him back at Stoke on a 1 year deal. He’s very impressed we’ve landed him.

Tips him to be captain too. Great character apparently.

4 Likes

Thats a great signing imho. Just cuz he’s 35 doesn’t mean anything. Over 450 league appearances all in higher divisions, and 50 international appearances. Could we have one of the best defences in the league next season?

1 Like

Yes, possibly older than we would like. But if he was younger, he probably wouldn’t be here. This strikes me as similar to a Pointon / Brightwell-type signing - decent pedigree, but still with something to offer too.

2 Likes

I do not consider s.h.i.t swearing :rofl:

2 Likes

Exactly what I thought when we signed him.

Another one I suspect plenty were sniffing around so it says alot about our summer dealings.

1 Like

What a singing. A solid Premier League career and has played at two European Championships - really impressive stuff. Again, the Matt Taylor effect. They played together at Burnley.

1 Like

If he was 33 or younger he’d be championship minimum. Guy is quality and class as they say is permanent.
Always looked after himself and the same professional attitude as chambers which did him no harm at 35+
A truly brilliant signing

2 Likes

Stephen Ward on joining the saddlers

"It’s exciting. "I’m really impressed with how the Head Coach is trying to go about his business and his ambition for the season. “I have been really impressed from speaking to the Head Coach and I am really excited to get going.”

1 Like

Useful to have an osteopath on our books…or different bloke?

3 Likes

Wrong bloke mate :rofl:

So what are we looking at for a back 4?

Ward Monty Taylor White? Thats not bad.

They say that if you’re good enough then you’re old enough for young players, and the same is true for older ones - if you’re good enough you’re still young enough. BTW He’s 6 months younger than Ronaldo - would we turn him down as being too old?

And anyway, more than just having the legs to run up and down the flank, having the football brain and experience to give yourself that extra half a yard so that you don’t have to can be just as important - plus the influence he’ll have on the younger players and team as a whole.

2 Likes