Street End frequenters

I remember Tommy Coakley getting the same whilst being flobbed on.

Barnwell got some flobbers also. That corner near the changing rooms must have been a lonely walk after a bad performance. Today’s snowflakes don’t know they’re born :joy:

Used to think that’s why he wore that long flasher Mac.

3 Likes

I think not gobbling on the players or manager is a change for the better…

1 Like

Many are still recovering from the Barnwell years. It was so bad i emmigrated shortly afterwards

3 Likes

Aren’t you getting confused with the Ramsden turkeys? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Damn autocorrect. Gobbing. As you well know!

1 Like

Could be an incentive depending on whose doing the gobbling.

Reminds of a story an ex pro used to tell.

He was at a new club and the manager told him that if he didn’t perform well in the first half he would get pulled off at halftime.He said blimey, at his last club he only got half an orange.

1 Like

Just demonstrating that I do read every single ********* post :wink:

1 Like

In the version I heard it was Rodney Marsh and Alf Ramsey. Apparently Ramsey wasn’t amused and never picked Marsh for England again.

2 Likes

For all the rose-tinted happy memories of Fellows Park and the Street End (yes I agree, even before it went all-seater Bescot/Banks’s just isn’t the same atmosphere), let’s not forget that it was regularly voted the worst ground in the country by opposition fans.

You’ve got to admit, it was a dump (our very own dump, but a dump nevertheless).

1 Like

Sorry Andy, couldn’t disagree more :smile:

2 Likes

I’d rather play in the run down dump that was FP than the soulless, poorly designed Meccano-like Bescot.

6 Likes

FP v Bescot?

Better atmosphere.
Choice to stand or sit.
Choice of vantage point.
Far cheaper in real terms for admission and anything that was for sale in the ground.
If you were next to an idiot or someone that farted a lot you could move elsewhere.
Football specials.
The food and drink kiosks (including pints you could buy at the back of the cowshed whilst still watching) rarely took more than a couple of minutes to get served.

I can’t think of one thing about Bescot that’s better, and all this toilet talk, a pee’s a pee, and if the bogs at FP were packed say for a big game you could just do it at the back of the stand and nobody batted an eyelid.

3 Likes

It had character Andy,I never once felt as though it was a dump,(apart from the toilets that is),for all its faults I prefer it.

It’s a bit difficult to forget something you don’t remember in the first place.
Although I distinctly remember visiting some places that were infinitely bigger dumps than Fellows Park - The Shay and Springfield Park being prime examples.

Anyone remember when they put a turnstile in the corner Hillary Street and the shed late 60s, I think they charged 6d to go through into the shed

1 Like

Not for a relative shortarse like me. From what I remember the serving counter was a step or so below the top step of the terrace, so the only thing you could watch whilst being served was the back of peoples heads. Other than that though you are spot on.

1 Like

I do as a “shedder”…I always enjoyed walking through the “end” as the last few minutes ticked by…some of the humour was great whether we were losing or winning. One match I recall was against Bury(I think) which was 0-0 as I left my spot and Stan Bennett scored a last minute winner for us as I was passing behind the goal.It wasn’t a big gate but the noise was fantastic especially as Bury
had been time wasting for most of the match!
Although I remember the turnstile I cannot remember how long it was there…only a few seasons possibly although around that time I started having a season ticket which mean’t that the turnstile didn’t figure very much in my attendances.

1 Like

I miss the smell of pipe smoke wafting across the cowshed terrace .

1 Like

And the cigar smoke on Boxing Day, fellas handing hip-flasks round full of “Christmas spirit”.

Always used to amuse me on a night game in the 70’s looking across to the main stand from the cowshed if we got a corner or a dangerous free-kick you’d see dozens of ciggies simultaneously lighting up in the gloom. Folks using the pause in play to calm the nerves of an impending attack with a quick drag.

5 Likes