Strikers we should be targeting for next season

Wouldn’t shock me if both Gordon and Lavery are retained.

Only just seen this :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

4 of those goals are penalties/rebounds from penalties

3 Likes

Me neither. The whole club has an “it will be alright in the end” feel about it, from the players to the manager, to the board room. It’s all Pomlett has said for 2 years.

People talk about this big clear out, I can’t see it happening and I also think short of relegation Dutton will be manager.

The whole club has a lackadaisical, reactive, “oh well”, sleepwalking feel about it.

1 Like

He got a hat trick against Forest Green (in the cup) last season so I predict a Stuart Rimmer v Sunderland hat trick performance on Saturday and a 3-0 victory for the Super Saddler’s against a fading Forest Green team.

Gordon will celebrate by doing the ‘fingers in ears’ celebration before shushing to an empty stadium.

It’s the hope that kills you…

1 Like

If Dutton remains manager (christ) I can’t see Gordon or Lavery retained. Why would he want them? they’ve done next to nothing whilst he’s been in charge. Gordon especially, may as well not be on the pitch.

He will want new options in.

You’re thinking about it with a logical mind. That is your issue.

We are lacking quality all over the pitch but the biggest letdown has got to be the strikers, we desperately need at the very least one proven goal scorer, if we don’t it’ll be the same next season struggling for draws.

1 Like

We need more than one proven goalscorer because when he is sold in January we will left with the same situation as now.

1 Like

Thought you were constantly criticising Clarke for never playing Flash as CF?

Seems the injury has completely nulified him as his goal return wasn’t too bad for a few months last season and start of this one.

Still think Holden coming back will improve things for final few games.

I absolutely was, he’s even worse out wide :+1: After his injury he’s gone from being a decent striker and a poor winger to poor both.

1 Like

So you’d have played him ahead of Adebayo at CF in first half of the season…right. Unless you just mean straight 4-4-2?

Nah to me Wes-Ade-Gordon
Holden

over a full season and side would be very close if not in the play offs. Given Gordon got injured about 4-5 games into the season and then when he came back Holden was out for three months it was hardly seen at all. When they were all fit for a few weeks over xmas there was the four match winning run with two of those wins against teams in top 7 so that’s the one what if from this season but feels a very long time away now.

1 Like

Eh? “So you think this? (no I don’t) Nah I disagree!” :joy: :joy:

I’ve been saying we should be playing 4-2-3-1 for the best part of two years and end of last season argued Ade should be first choice and Gordon second with an actual right winger. He’s not a winger in a million years, he can’t cross for toffee.

Not sure what is “nah” about that :man_shrugging:

That was before he got injured and now seems incapable of playing either position.

1 Like

He could do a job as CF but his finishing simply isn’t there. At his best he can still buzz around as nuisance to CB and create space for others e.g. that mini run near the end of the Keates spell when it was him as CF with Ismail and Blackett Taylor either side and the team actually played well in games v Sunderland and Barnsley and created good chances on counter attack.

Then Cook came back and it all became direct again although the Peterborough game had both of them starting IIRC. Guess it’s just what people prefer watching formation wise.

He’s a lost cause now anyway so time to let him go and start with blank canvas again upfront.

1 Like

You just said his strike rate was decent before the injury? Buzzing around and scoring the odd goal is more than he has ever contributed out wide.

But as you say, it’s academic now, he doesn’t appear capable of either.

Gordon isn’t good enough at all. Got afforded more time because he was one of the few who wasn’t a ■■■■ when we got relegated but in truth he’s not got much to his game in my opinion. He’ll huff and puff and concede a free kick.

1 Like

Gordon hasn’t been good for a while, but I do feel he is one of those players who feeds off the crowd. Home games where the crowd are up and behind the team and us pressing them gets big applause and plaudits would always result in a better Gordon performance - so the lack of fans likely has had a big impact on him. Still not good enough to be here mind you.

3 Likes

And fall over every 5 minutes spends more time on the floor than on his feet and the free kicks have always been something that’s annoyed me about him its braindead.

2 Likes

Whilst I agree none of the strikers are any good just like our attacking play I can’t help but think this all stems from when we let Marcus Stewart go and didn’t replace him with a striker coach.
A few times this season balls have been whipped in and all what’s needed is a touch on them (Holden put a beauty in last game) but no one is attacking them crosses, whilst I agree they’re experienced enough to know where they need to be they’ve lost their way without proper coaching, a striker coach should be on the priority of the DOF when and if he ever gets here.

11 Likes

Yes, he did. Well done for actually watching the game and not just the final score.