Tasty XI

It’s because he played under Whitney, but he was class for those 2 seasons. Best football of his career.

He was magic some days.

1 Like

Alex Taylor and Alan Baker before their injuries…

Me too. I had George Kirby and Bernie Wright up front. And Graeme Forbes and Roger Hind as centre backs.

1 Like

Graeme Forbes is a top shout. He was the first defender that I actually looked forward to watching. I was always disappointed whenever he was injured.

2 Likes

Can’t leave out Andy rammell and walsall legends Ian roper and Colin Harrison

Heavily biased to when I watched but for the record mine would be:

Neil Etheridge (absolute unit)

Darren Bazeley
Adrian Viveash
Danny Hay
Julien Bennett

Michael Dobson
Charlie Ntamark
Martin O’Connor

Steve Claridge
Andy Rammell
Andy Cook

Not much pace in that team but they wouldn’t lose many headers or challenges.

Could also call it a Testy XI. That’s 11 angry men there. The kind of game you “forget” to bring your boots to or pull a hammie during the warmup.

1 Like

Super jorge for the fa cup game away at charlton

mers for the albion game

zigor for being a amazing crosser of the ball but a terrible left back

ozzie still one of the best play makers ive seen in a walsall shirt tho

super donny goodman for the hair

herivolto…jesus… he was a cracking player on his day…

Paul Merson
Don Penn
Alan Buckley
Kevin Wilson
Darren Wrack
Pedro Matias
David Kelly
Nicky Cross
John Keister
Mark Rees
Zigor Aranalde

1 Like

We’re you old enough to watch Peron? Now that was a player! Best I’ve ever seen in a saddlers shirt.

1 Like

I wish I was old enough to have seen peron.
For people to say he was better than merson, sawyers , Rico, oztumer etc he must have been a player

Loads and most have been mentioned. Think Fred Barber is challenger for the keeper position. Mark Rees is certainly up there. God looking through this thread makes for depressing reading given the dross we have witnessed last few years.

1 Like

Kyle Lightbourne kevin Wilson Scotty Houghton Clayton Ince Jimmy Walker David Kelly Nicky Cross to name a few.

2 Likes

Based upon who I watched and who got me excited:

Etheridge

Demetriou
Butler
Forbes
Henry

Patterson
O’Connor
Preece
Oztumer

Buckley
Kelly

Not sure what formation, probably

2 - Forbes and Butler
5 - Demetriou, Patterson, O’Connor, Preece, Henry
1 - Oztumer
2 - Buckley, Kelly

And on the bench:
Barber, Leitao, Rees, Aranalde, Devlin, Naughton

1 Like

That little Turkish magician was one of my favorite players ever to wear our badge. He literally kept us in L1 for a couple of seasons. Quick, skillful and powerfully built, nobody will forget those wonderful long-range efforts that hit the back of the net.
He would have torn this league apart.

Walker
Demetriou, Stan Bennett, Dann, Padula
Rees, MOC, Preece, Peron
Buckley, Lightbourne

All players who were likely to do something a bit out of the ordinary, even if it was sometimes just to punch someone or run 80 yards to grab a weasel by the throat.

2 Likes

Lightbourne doesnt get mentioned enough Bradshaw gets mentioned more and wasnt half the player killer was for us Buckley then Kelly and Lighbourne are the best 3 in the last 40ish years for me.

4 Likes

I liked Lightbourne, but I don’t think that is fair. Lightbourne had less goals per game, played at an easier standard of football and played with two up top.

The only argument against I could see is that Bradshaw had better players around him but I don’t think that negates the other points. You don’t get many strikers averaging a goal every other game at this level as Bradshaw did.

If you don’t count Lightbourne’s first season when Hibbitt played him on the wing, he played two of his best 3 seasons at the same level as Bradshaw did, League1/division 3. Unless you mean the league was stronger when Bradshaw was playing.

Lightbourne scored 24 and 25 in those two seasons, although from memory he did score a fair few in the cups in the days when we used to do alright in them.

Very different players really. Bradshaw as well as his goals was a constant nuisance and occupied two center backs on his own all game.

1 Like