Taylor out?

I don’t believe that was the main reason we hired him at all. He was hired as DoF to carry out a full review of the football side and to put in place strategies and procedures for the longer term, with the intention that those remain in place whatever managers come and go, so that we don’t have the continual, disastrous changes we’ve seen in recent years.

Whether he can do that will not be judged in a half season, it will be over several seasons. He’s going nowhere. So we had all better hope and believe he’ll get it right.

1 Like

You’ve changed your tune ! :joy:

1 Like

As in?

I seem to recall you telling us good we were earlier in the season and to be positive, give time etc etc ? No? :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Still am. I wrote last week that he should be given time, but needs to start learning from his mistakes and be more flexible with his tactics. Today was more of the same, with the addition of leaving Kinsella out.

3 Likes

Mills was brought in to cover. While injuries haven’t helped, he’s not really good enough is he? Ward is a liability because he has zero pace.

3 Likes

True, but its whether he trusts the players he has to adjust beyond this very rigid, ‘safe’ formation he seems dead set on at the moment. Who joins Miller up front, and who comes on if one of them gets injured?

2 Likes

Haha

Still am positive

Calling people c*nts

Choose one.

I still haven’t seen a convincing alternative to this formation from all of the suggestions to be honest.

After half a season under any manager, I’d expect to see some aspects of our play which have improved since the beginning of the season. What do we do better now than in August? I’m struggling to think of anything.

2 Likes

We barely have the personnel to play the current formation, so perhaps we’ll see some flexibility when new recruits arrive. Losing Khan would be a massive blow in that respect, he’s our only genuinely versatile option.

4 Likes

… all this with a DoF

Incredible.

1 Like

What about a 433 - keeper and back 4 picks itself (currently/ unfortunately) but then middle of labadie, kinsella, earing (kinsella more central and holding, other two pushing on and harrying opposition in possession) then front three of Wilkinson, Miller, Khan/phillips/Kiernan so that Miller isn’t as isolated and can link up with him better. I know this doesn’t include holden but I am talking about now, not in months time.

Agree with this the system for me isn’t working and the players are struggling with it.4-2-3-1 is played at premier league level with much more talented players than we have.We need to play either a simple 4-4-2 or 3 centre backs in a 5-3-2 whilst defending when attacking the wing backs go forward and join in.Miller isn’t a player that can hold a long ball up so the others like Kiernan or Khan or whoever is playing just behind him are allowed the time to join in he’s lost up top alone.

Yeah I guess so although, is it all that different? I mean, Labadie and Kinsella are deeper midfielders anyway so you’re going to have to push the other midfielder on and join attacks anyway.

It’s a different formation but I’m not convinced it would drastically change our system at all. But you’re right, it is possible and would at least be as effective.

Formation is just a number and nothing more. I remember clubs playing without a recognized striker and scoring many goals. Why? All depends on what tactical orders were used. And how many chances were created, how many shots on target were, maybe how many IFK were. But don’t ask me which formation (defence, midfield or attack) doesn’t work at this moment. Camera don’t show important areas of pitch. It just blindly follows the ball. But the coaching staff can do it and should do it. But of course open question, club entered end of season mode, or MT learns managing team is way harder than he thought, or transfer market offensive is planned for the next week, or no one cares, because when LP talked there will be clubs whom suffer because of covid, he had his own club on mind, but without Adebayo this time. Time will tell, but again, staying in this league seems to be main goal.

I guess it isn’t that different if we end up negative and the 2 wide players pull back a bit but my main two thoughts were that it would allow Earing more freedom to play further on and affect play, almost as the 10 role that many think he should play. Also helps Miller out more as he is so often isolated and chasing lost causes miles from his team mates. It could all be academic anyway as do we have the quality of player to play any system effectively?!:man_shrugging:

I personally think it’s too early to pull the trigger on Taylor, although I would not be surprised if he walked.

He clearly needs some help, perhaps a new assistant, but definitely more investment in his team and support from DOF. Yeah Kins should play every week and yeah he needs a plan B, but constantly changing manager ain’t gonna help.

The problem is the board, that’s who we need to get out. That’s where our focus needs to be. Make no mistake. Board out.

14 Likes

Khan is also a miss from dead balls.

Yesterday we were back to Earing’s floaty ones.

2 Likes

True. Three month contract might be a really bad look should he leave.

1 Like