Team for Coventry

By all means point it out, but it’s the again and again and again and again and again and again that irritates many other contributors.

3 Likes

Fair, but nobody else gets picked up on it :man_shrugging:

Particularly wrankles when I’m not the antagonist.

For goodness sake. The emphasis here should be on the fact that Walsall FC are in a mess and we get to debate it, not on two posters continually sniping at each other.

Here’s a balanced view - Cook has had an excellent first season in terms of scoring goals and, by virtue of the fact he’s clearly our leading scorer, is our most potent threat.

At the same time, there’s many a team who have lost their main goalscorer but turned out to be a better team for it because it allows a different style of play.

So both of you have perfectly valid viewpoints and the debate should be perfectly sensible and probably centre around whether we have the personnel to be one of those teams, of which I saw a little argument in the middle of the nonsense.

Personally, since the current formations and personnel being used by keates are all failing, I think it would be very valid to try a 4-5-1 and it is certainly open to question as to whether Cook would be the best to perform that role.

4 Likes

Oh come on. Nobody is taking away the focus from where we are so pull the other one on that.

As for being so tired of it you thought you’d reignite it? I mean I was discussing a board wide topic with a mod. The squabbling had been called and stopped.

As for the issue, yeah people have dropped their goal scorers. Normally because there are BETTER options in the team. Not even just goalscoring options, better options. There is nobody else in the squad that had performed their job to his level.

It’s not a valid view point. It’s exactly the same thing we had with Oztumer at the end of last season. We’ve changed everything else so people come up with “innovative” changes that include dropping the one player that is performing and then pat themselves on the back about it and use it as a stick to beat the manager with when they don’t do their stupid idea.

And what happened at the end of last season? Everyone remembers Dobsons goal but Oztumer was the one who got a hatrick a few weeks before and scored the goal that actually meant we stay up at Bradford.

As for 4-5-1, if you want to play that formation I’d argue an out and out target man like Cook is the only option in the squad for that role. With Oteh there’s no focal point in that formation. He’s going to get bullied by two centre halves and then we are relying on Kinsella for goals. Wouldn’t it make sense, in that formation to have your five midfielders playing nice pretty football and trying to Arsenal their way into the box BUT ALSO have Cook on the pitch in case you need a finisher or to win a header?

But what do I know. I’m just a bickering troll.

At the moment it feels like “Mr/Mrs…Would you like to sit on the top or lower deck of the Titanic…”

Whatever is tried just won’t work.

For me Fitzwater would be starting, Johnson would be starting and I’d go backs to the wall and try and get out of this losing cycle by scraping out an ugly 1-1.

Would go 5-3-2 but problem with that is Cook would be isolated. Wouldn’t create much in open play but with a few defenders on the pitch maybe one could chip in with a goal from a set piece, Laird scored a few in 16/17.

Would also like to see Blackett Taylor get a start but that’s the obvious problem of the six loanees, one has to miss out if the two CBs are involved.