Team for next season

LP couldn’t explain why they hadn’t been announced. I can only assume the media department must be busy.

Must be shoelace week, not croc week…

2 Likes

Hoping none of the new signings are “whatshisname from Huddersfield”.

Maybe we didnt release him. He may have been offered a contract and turned it down. Probably wants more first team footballer at his age

Possibly, announcing a player has been released makes it appear that it was the club’s decision, whereas often the player has decided to leave and has something else lined up, eg Josh Gordon last season.

I’d have tried to keep Tom Leak, but he may not have wanted to stay. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jack Rose wasn’t in the same position.

2 Likes

Change of tactic to when we new players were leaving in the past… Sawyers was always leaving when this was offered, think we knew that when Smith left for Brentford.

Romaine Sawyers has been offered a new three year contract with the Club, with Jason Demetriou, Anthony Forde and Sam Mantom all being offered new two year contracts.

Source: CLUB STATEMENT: RETAINED AND RELEASED - News - Walsall FC

Agreed. In the event, all four left that Summer. I’d guess that the club knew the other three weren’t staying either.

Sawyers was offered a contract because it increased the amount of comp we’d get for him.
No way comparable to Leak.

Loved Sawyers as a player, but he cost us some serious bunce by refusing to sign a new contract

1 Like

We didn’t get any compo for Sawyers, it only applies to under 24s, and he was 24 when his contract expired.

You may be right, but I’m sure compo was the reason we offered him a contract.

I mean he was never going to stay.

There have been plenty of players over the years that were never staying but we offered token gesture contracts, mainly to appease the fans at a guess. Brandy and O’Donnell spring to mind as two that strung it out as if we were in with a chance when they knew full well they were never signing for us. There are more that I can’t think of right now.

Obviously I agree Sawyers was never staying, even if we got promoted I think he was off.

2 Likes

They get offered contracts because then the club can say they did their bit by trying to keep them.

Was the reason we offered Grigg a 4 year deal when he was out of contract because then the club got more money off the tribunal.

We also did similar with Oztumer I think. Sure we said we’d offered contracts but he wanted to go or something along those lines.

Even Flynn has got the ‘well run club’ mantra in!

Fair play saying the mentality has to change and it won’t be an easy ride, coming in and just picking up your wages.

Goes to show all the talk of mentality with the signings last summer was all waffle.

1 Like

Wonder if his decision?

If you were to go through our league (from a neutrals’ point of view), how many clubs could be said to have a better overall set up / operation than us?

Certainly not Newport where he was. I think he sees this as a lot of us do, a club that is currently punching below its weight on the pitch.

4 Likes

I hope he can change the reason behind that: a board and owner that admit they haven’t a clue about the footballing side. Having been taken advantage of, I think Flynn is the one who can short-circuit that malaise.

Doesn’t mean it doesn’t need fixing, it really does.

He would have been better off not saying that as it is often now used out of context. It was said to explain the decision to bring in a DOF. He probably knows as much as the vast majority of owners. Where he has struggled up to this point, as many other owners do, is recruiting the right guy who can deliver success on the pitch.

5 Likes