Team vs Burton

So assuming no injuries, I think it is safe to say we will start with the 10 that started against Bradford, but who would you select to replace Cook?

Will we revert to 4-2-3-1 as we intended to play against Bradford or play 4-4-2.

Do we start with Oteh upfront or do we add select Dobson and have Edwards and Dobson driving through from midfield?

I’d bring Blackett-Taylor in for Cook and go… Blacket-Taylor - Ismail - Jarvis behind Gordon…in a 4-2-3-1 Other than that the team picks itself after last saturdsy’s heroics :grinning:

1 Like

I’d go for a 4-5-1 with the extra midfielder for this game and for home games go for the 4-2-3-1 with Corey coming in for the Fleetwood game. What I would say is Josh Gordon has the energy to play the lone striker role and occupy the defenders whilst the midfielders need to use their energy to support him when breaking.

These battered us at home - through their midfield. I’d be inclined to go with the 4231 / 451 again here.

2 Likes

Good point that first half was men against boys . Definitely need an extra man in a defensive midfield role in my opinion.maybe “kins kin’s kinnsella” patrolling in front of the back four like a little Staffordshire bull terrier.

2 Likes

Gordon - Oteh upfront, Ferrier as a sub. Rest is irrelevant. Probably they expect fairly easy game, but without Cook all plans are not relevant.

Ferrier is injured mate

I would slip Laird into a back 3 and tell Leahy to push wide with a bit more licence. If Edwards and/or Kinsella tire, I would bring on Dobson; if we are holding onto a breakaway goal, Osbourne to play the Chambers roll in last 20 mins and add a bit of height for set pieces.

With an extra defender, maybe Scarr or Guthrie might get us a goal from a set piece because with the 3 amigos of Gordon, Zeli and a slightly floating Jarvis up top, we won’t win many headers!

Remember that Burton have some decent forward players so a safety first policy would be a good policy because a point would be an okay result. No goals conceded in the first 15 mins please!

1 Like

Probably that’s the official version and somehow, I don’t believe it.

1 Like

You could well be right who knows . It is said that he has a hamstring injury.

4-2-3-1 looked ok for the 6 minutes it was used on Saturday may as well give it a chance, especially with Gordon proving he can play as a single striker.

1 Like

Dobson for Cook and put our JE out on the right.

I’d play Dobson as the defensive point in midfield, let kins buz around ratting and let Edwards get beyond Gordon and into the box at every occasion.

Edwards has had a total of three touches in the opponents boxes this season, so i find that hard to see.

4-2-3-1

Edwards and Kinsella at the base, with Jarvis, Ismail and Blackett-Taylor behind Gordon.

1 Like

I would say that is probably down to him having to play more as part of a 2 man midfield in a majority of his appearances so he has had more defensive duties. Make Edwards part of a three man midfield and he can make those surges into the box as he has two other people to pick up the defensive duties.

we will lose this 3 or 4.

I wouldn’t be playing Oteh, on Saturday he looked completely bewlildered by the round thing that everyone else was chasing after.

That is what I would do assuming Dobson is fully fit…if not I suppose Osbourne could do the defensive role alongside Kinsella. I think we should stick with 4-2-3-1 and the same personnel if possible.

Complete madness to shove Edwards out wide, particularly in a 4-2-3-1 where he is basically playing as a winger.

A) He’s head and shoulders our best centre mid and B) he’s not very good out wide anyway.