Ten games

No it won’t it will be roughly the same and if it is a lot higher like you say questions need to be asked about that as well because their new owners are not exactly Arab oil billionaire’s

They own there own ground so straight away they are 450k a year better off than us

Their budget is much higher than what we had here last season that’s for sure. James Wilson would’ve been on a few grand at Salford for a start.

Clarke really messed up summer 2019 budget but he didn’t get much help during last season, don’t think that can be argued too much.

The owners have spent 500k on ground improvements too. Compared to pomlett and bonsor they’re like Man City owners

1 Like

Bonsor will be worth more than the port Vale owner’s or close to anyway the vale owner’s own a I.T company with a value of £6 million Bonsor owns a little football stadium just off the M6 that he somehow gets almost half a million a year out of. How much did Bonsor value Bescot at a few years ago £9 million or something.

You just answered why vale have a bigger wage budget.

They won’t have a higher wage bill though and like a say if they do they’ll be nothing in it I had the same conversation on here 5 year’s ago when we were in league 1 everyone was saying we had the Lowest budget in league 1 then when the budgets came out at the end of the season basically from 14th to 24th all the budgets were basically the give or take a few quid . It’s all irrelevant anyway look at Salford probably got a top 3 budget if we beat them Saturday we’re on the same points.

1 Like

Would be surprised if vale had a wage budget that much bigger than ours. A football club is another asset that needs money pumped in don’t forget. Not a money making machine by any stretch. Especially some forgotten about part of Stoke with a shit ground they can’t even put all the seats in.

1 Like

Bonsor’s wealth is irrelevant now- it’s comparisons with Pomlett that matter. Carol Shanahan is a very wealthy and successful business woman, who more importantly is able and willing to put her hand in her pocket when needed.
In a way she can provide us with a little optimism in that she rescued Vale from their own despotic version of Bonser, Norman Smurfwaite. Maybe after all these years there’s still someone out there like her who will do the same for us.
As someone has mentioned already she’s funded major ground improvements, bought a new squad and does fantastic work in the community. The only downside for me is that the odious Darrell Clarke is benefitting from her generosity.

7 Likes

Think your being very generous to the DOF , I can’t see what difference time makes , the players are either good enough or not , as regards budget I’m guessing it was relatively decent , whether or not it’s been used wisely is very much open to discussion .

Agree with all of this.

I guess my point is, rebuilding an entire team takes time and probably more than one window. Not every player will be a success. I’m disappointed at the lopsided squad and lack of depth. But it will take time. It ain’t easy signing players for a lower 4th division club with no money.

2 Likes

What about earring?

Agree with most of that , but not sure about the no money bit .
I’m guessing Taylor, Monthe , Labadie,Ward and Wilkinson would be in the higher wage bracket for this division and apart from Wilkinson the jury’s still out on whether the others are a upgrade on what we had .
Hindsight being what it is are the current back 4/5 any better than what we had last year , personally I don’t think so , and this seems like the area where a lot of the budget has gone .

2 Likes

It has been a disappointing start to the season, as other posters have said, we’ve been very unlucky with injuries to key players.
I too question the fitness, lack of transfer activity, the squad size and the club’s finances.
I’m not happy where we are, even with the injuries we’re not a terrible side, we can play some decent football. I would like to see where a fully fit team can take us, certainly not in the bottom half of the table.
We’ve basically had two rebuilds under two managers and one chairman and don’t seem to be any better off, at least as far as our league position is concerned.
I do have faith in Matt and what he wants to do here. Apart from a couple of players, most of the personnel MT has signed are an upgrade on what we had under DC.
We can only judge how a fully fit team plays in this division, let’s see where they can take us and move on from there.

1 Like

We don’t have enough players coming through our youth setup, which we pump a load of cash Into. This is a major failing for a club outsize.

5 Likes

I totally agree. Waste of money. I’d probably keep it from 16 + only as our youth as most our own kids were actually released from other academies like perry and even deeney was

Deeney? Not sure he ever played academy football before coming to us.

Your right had a trial at villa but still didn’t come through our youth picked him up from non league

1 Like

Would be interesting if it’s still 50:50 split in budget between youth team and first team squad.

Likes of Mole and Gamble made a big song and dance about that percentage in Smith era and also part of Whitney when 5-6 young players were either starting or part of matchday squad but now I wouldn’t have a clue if it’s still the same.

Incredibly worrying if it is given the lack of decent young players emerging in last 2-3 years and exactly at a time where young players would get a good run given low state of the club. Bates looked promising two years back but now hardly plays and will probably get released soon and Perry ain’t started this season well at all which is hugely disappointing as he should be making midfield spot his own.

Was going to say something to ask at next forum but they’ll probably hide behind the confidential clause now even though they were saying it every week to the press 4-5 years back.