Thank God It's Over

I’m inclined to call it “Mattress Bescot” on account of how often we roll over, lie down and get our bellies tickled.

3 Likes

What an aptly titled thread & I concur entirely.

Shan’t add to all the reasons why, I’ve done plenty of that for years on copious threads. Plus I always go through a weird optimistic phase at the end of the season, thinking that things will improve/change, in time for the next.

Flynn has a massive job on his hands. UTS!

2 Likes

Im similar. I dont have any friends or family that i go with. Come on my own, travel on my own from Shrewsbury. So i get your point.

However, at its minimum, its a great excuse to get away from the house for a few hours.

1 Like

When can we expect the retained and released list, anyone know?

Who knows but it should be today. No reason to hold back, Flynn was saying he had already made decisions so get it published and let’s move on.

1 Like

According to the E&S he’s letting them know today/tomorrow either face to face or over the phone so I’d expect it Wednesday latest.

1 Like

Let’s hope he communicates better than the SLO.

The only real positive for me this season is that my youngest lad for whatever reason really took to coming to games with me. That made it more bearable and gave me a reason to go. I’m not sure I would have been to so many games if he hadn’t wanted to go. Even he prefers the away games. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could actually have a decent team for him and all the other kids whose parents are doing their best to bring through the next generation of fans? Maybe an attacking player or two who get them off their seat, so they can have the player’s name on the back of their shirt. Just a thought.

I suppose it is to be expected but there is no real acceptance from the club on just how bad this season has been. “Up and down” my arse. It has been horrible, despite gaining one extra point, it has been more of a disaster than last season in many ways, and we genuinely looked in danger of getting relegated before Taylor was removed.

My posts are mostly negative now, I see that. Honestly, though I don’t think I have ever been so down about all things Walsall F.C related. I hope for a better next season with a decent manager, but I’m not holding my breath.

17 Likes

Exactly this.

My first season was 1987/88, the year we got promoted into the old 2nd division, with David Kelly, my hero. Yes, the next few years were a decline into Div 4 and the Hibbitt days, but at least I had a taste of what the club was capable of.

My lad will be 12 this year, been going for the last 3/4 years and it has been a struggle, even a battle to make him go. Do I blame him, no, think about the shite he has been served up over that period. It has turned off some of the most ardent supporters let alone a kid trying to build an affiliation. Like you say, they don’t even really have a hero to call their own. Yes I get it that Kinsella is homegrown, but kids don’t pine over a defensive midfielder, they like someone with a bit of flair or a striker who scores loads of goals like I had with Kelly.

So it is the old emotional blackmail of spending time with Dad and Grandad that has to kick in to get attendance. I’d love him to see some success, just so he can say that he wants to go to the game rather than me having to expect to coax him into coming along.

There is always next season I guess :see_no_evil::smiley:

4 Likes

I think I’ve been a bit luckier than you with my lad. He’s 14 and was there for the relegation avoiding last minute v Northampton! He missed Wilko’s strike unfortunately. That’s his portfolio of memories for the time being, the one he saw and the one he missed.

Same here. When I bring my son along I do everything I can to big it up, even if inside I’m thinking how it’s all a bit crap.

It sounds like quite a few of us are pulling our weight not just by coming but bringing our kids along and doing our best to ‘sell’ the club to them. If others’ kids are like mine, they aren’t exactly itching to go back again like I remember being back in '99.

1 Like

Took my lad yesterday, and he slept from 10 mins in to about the 75th minute mark :joy:

4 Likes

Is that about the time Osadebe was asleep for?

1 Like

I did the same and I’m 40

5 Likes

I had a couple of beers in a bar in Oldham yesterday, went past the sad sight of Boundary Park wallowing in its new status as a non-league venue, and got chatting to a couple of Oldham fans. Really brought it home to me what relegation out of the league feels like, or should that be “will feel like”. I know there’s some cases of clubs dropping into non-league and emerging stronger for it years later, Cambridge, Luton, and Exeter being examples, but all of those successes occured after regime change and in some cases several regime changes!

Can we just have a regime change BEFORE its too late? Is my unavoidable, nagging gut feeling.

3 Likes

Up and down my arse, the season has been utter crap, and the longer the great and good at Bescot keep deceiving themselves with those daft statements the more likely it will be that they can’t address the fundamental issues at the football club.

4 Likes

Wrong website Derby

10 Likes

How the likes of Dominic Telford missed out is beyond me.

Your right, I’ll email that Tory MP for advice on the best websites.

1 Like