Thanks, Stafflers!

Gavin is a former pupil of mine (at Manor Farm Comp.) and has been a loyal Saddler all of his life, despite living in Plymouth for several years! He has worked principally on media work for the Church of England.

1 Like

To be fair most people who have ever watched Walsall are a former pupil of yours at some point :grin:

6 Likes

Indeed, thanks Stafflers. Always appreciated the measured manner in which he carried out his role. Just hope we’re not going to get some hyped-up kid in overdrive who thinks it’s his (her?) job to whip up the crowd’s enthusiasm. Surely that’s what the team are supposed to do ….oh, hang on a minute. :thinking:

2 Likes

wonder if we can get the white Rasta off the Dazn? The pride of the Midlands Midlands.

That was my alma mater. 74 -81. Do I need to refer to you as Sur?

:clap:t2:

Is that similar to an Alma Cogan? :thinking: :grin:

2 Likes

Don’t you mean “Cur”? :grin:

I was Head of Mathematics & Computing at Manor Farm from January 1985 until August 1990 … so, after you had left.

1 Like

If we are looking for a new announcer with radio experience I understand Tim Westwood might be looking for a new job soon.

1 Like

Carpe Diem!

Served my sentence at the farm between 83-88, so was definitely taught by you there at some point.

We’re you the stern top set maths teacher by any chance?

The only other maths teacher I remember was about 103 at the time so you can’t be him.

No, far too young to have been Pedders. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

What a great job this blokes done. Much like Dave Bathurst he gets what it’s all about as a Walsall.

Sadly many people now serving the club just don’t get it at all.

1 Like

That would have been Vernon Mercer. Sadly, I lost contact with him and I guess he has probably died by now unless he has survived well into his nineties.

P.S. I have a one-word riposte to Exy but I’m not allowed to use that sort of language on UTS! :wink:

1 Like

Abercrombie? Or greaseball?

http://www.paper-dragon.com/1939/slang.html

Yes, that was him. Vernon Mercer. Or Dr Snuggles as we affectionately nick named him.

You busted me down to his set for being too fick! :joy:

No harm meant Sir, we were a tough crowd back then.

Certainly had more respect for the stricter ones, afterall - corporal punishment was still a thing back then.

Colin Jarvis and Grahame Stallard in PE were excellent. The rest meh, except for Mr Harker who was a decent guy, and remained my form tutor for 5 years.

Happy Days!

They were there when I was and they were good guys. Mr Jarvis was Welsh and well into his rugby. He may have played for Walsall??? I bumped into him in The Wheatsheaf when I was on home leave from college. I still called him Sir.

I believe Colin Jarvis coached at Walsall Rugby club.
Was told he emigrated to Oz to coach Rugby over there but not certain if that’s true.
Would shake his hand if I could. Had great respect for him, he just knew how to inspire.
No surprise Rugby was a big deal at Manor Farm during his time there.

Remember Mr Jarvis from his time at Blue Coat, seem to recall he did emigrate to Australia.

1 Like

Dave Bathurst and Michael Day are also retiring after Saturday’s match, along with Gavin Drake.

It won’t be the same without David Bathurst’s voice.

15 Likes