The Game Plan

Stand by for incoming Tom

2 Likes

Max Melbourne is one who I was disappointed to see leave.

3 Likes

Yes and No for me. He was solid enough, but to be fair he’s ended up at Stevenage so he’s no stand-out. Maybe he stood out last season because he was at least bothered.

Thank you for lending some perspective, exactly why I posted.

1 Like

Think the most worrying thing about the Ward situation is that there’s no back up, so we’re asking a 36 year old LB to work his socks off for 50 odd games, be much more mobile than he can be, and also not get injured.

Whatever anyone’s thoughts are on Ward’s performances it was very poor to go into the season with only one recognised left back. With his age and the problems it brings even more so.

I really can’t understand the thinking behind it, it’s not like the days where you can bring in a player on loan for a month to cover.

1 Like

He does win free kicks, not sure he’s any better than Kinsella at breaking up play, and Kinsellas the better ball player. For me, we rely on Earing a little too much with Labadie in the side. I’m not even sure where he goes when we have the ball but he never seems to be showing.

He also gave away a few silly ones yesterday, which is what I was referring to and he does accumulate yellows. I’m not sure what there is to disagree with there.

I’m not saying he’s a bad player, but most important or better than what we already had? Not sure about that.

I think that’s where I differ in my opinion. Despite being a fan of Kinsella, I think Labadie is the superior option and the upturn in form can almost be tracked back to when he came back from his suspension.

What would be interesting is if we find a way to get Earing, Kins and Labadie into the same midfield. That Vale away game sticks out as one where that could be an option.

2 Likes

I think I’ve seen that said before and the results with and without are almost identical. Maybe slightly in favour of Labadie after the cup game but I’m not sure the lack of form was down to Kinsella and the “upturn” thanks to Labadie. I think we’ve settled, look a bit more cohesive and a few players have upped their game. Kinsella was comfortably our best player so far this season before he was injured.

I definitely think this could be accommodated. Originally I thought you couldn’t play Labadie and Kinsella together, but Labadie seems to play further up the pitch than I anticipated. I think you can do it with Kinsella sitting, Labadie pressing and Earing was originally touted as a 10 when he first came. I’d definitely like to see that tried at some point. I’ve been really impressed with Earing, but I think he’d be even better and give us the composure we are missing in the final third unlocking defences.

One will surely be signed in January.

I guess they feel Ward is just too good to be rotation player. If he’s fit he starts. Said before I’d like to see him tried as LCB at some point but obviously with results steady now a formation change is unlikely anytime soon.

Mistake not to do anything about it in January though as Mills is obviously just squad filler.

Would like to see Kinsella have a go at left back if the Labadie / Earring partnership continues as it is .

The plan is to grind out points.

I think we have sacrificed a bit of possession based play to be more effective, as im sure thats how he intended us to play at first but soon realised its hard to do at this level. The fitness of Labadie and Monthe has been key recently, as they both looked hopeless until they got more game time. I love Kinsella but agree Earing and Labadie is the shoe in midfield.

Its not pretty but it never is in league two, and we have deserved some good luck in the last few games.

Ward is a walking timebomb, We need to strengthen that area as soon as possible in Jan. I still feel we are missing someone who can hold the ball up, we dont have that option in the slightest.

1 Like

The big difference between Labadie and Kinsella for me is physicality. We all know Kins likes to get stuck in but due to his size he can get bullied in games against bigger opponents. As others have mentioned, Labadie gives us a physical presence and some hight in the middle that we haven’t had for years. The work he does affords more time on the ball to our more offensive minded players to play in the a ess that will hurt the opposition

3 Likes

If the reason he’s better is “he’s bigger” then that doesn’t navigate his lesser ball passing, lesser mobility, similar ball winning ability and propensity for silly bookings and fouls. Labadie is smarter, I’ll give him that, but it’s not enough to say he’s a better player for me.

It’s quite incredible the short term memory fans have when it comes to Kinsella. Head and shoulders our best player before the injury. Yet it feels like after every game, despite him being out for a fair few now, randomly people have to point out how much better we are without him. Just don’t see it personally but I can’t say I’m disappointed if Labadie does get the nod. None of this is to say he’s not a good player, I’m just surprised by how underrated Kinsella still is and over rated Labadie seems to be.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s necessarily the fact that he’s a better player, and I don’t think many have been knocking Kinsella either. It’s more the partnership that Earing and Labadie have developed, and how well they compliment each other has coincided with a real upturn in performances and results.

There’s nothing to say that over time Earing and Kinsella won’t strike up a similar partnership when he returns to fitness and Labadie gets another inevitable suspension. There’s also no denying that the extra height, strength and physicality wouldn’t have gone amiss in any Walsall side lost Adam Chambers

3 Likes

Like I said, last time I looked into this there wasn’t actually that much in the results. But unless you blame Kinsella for the losses before his injury and Labadie for the wins after, it doesn’t really matter anyway. Considering his performances that would be incredibly harsh.

I do sort of agree with the Earing thing (although again, I think you can get all three in the side) and results are probably why I wouldn’t change it. Not so sure about performances though, we’ve been poor two out of the last three and ok against Sutton.

Just imagine how good we will be when we learn how to score from set pieces. Get Kins/Holden back, sign Miller and Meyanese, plus get Archer on loan from the Villa lump on now! :+1:t2:

1 Like

We still need another left back and a striker for me as soon as someone is injured we don’t have one in the squad as back up who’s going to play left back if Ward gets injured? Mills? Again not a proper left back

2 Likes

Ladabie is a better leader than Kinsella on the pitch, hence why he’s captain.

That’s the only thing dividing them.

2 Likes

Feel rather sorry for Miller - when we get closed down and it’s played backwards, only for the ball to be then hoofed into a channel to be chased hopelessly- it must get rather frustrating.

3 Likes