UpTheSaddlers Forum

The Protests

I know we’re waiting on the reply to the letter from @RobHarv3y but maybe its worth dedicating a thread to discussing the next steps of the potential protest.

• Why are we protesting?
  • What do we hope to achieve?
  • When do we protest?
  • Protest ideas?
  • Banners?
    … etc

I like the idea put forward by @Thanatos suggesting we have 10 clear points which can be shared around via different social media platforms. What could these points be? I think it’s vital we agree on this as a collective before we push any further.

Budget - Playing side only half invested in, according to their own policies. And that’s questionable
Ownership - Our landlord owns our club and the land. A clear conflict of interest
No Ambition - There’s no clear forward plan for where this club is going.
Stadium - now tired and run down compared to others in our own league
Overpriced Tickets - compared to similar clubs in similar situations
Rent - paid from our owner to our landlord to the tune of 3 league one player salaries a year

Old fan base - we attract very few new fans and barely keep hold of the old ones
Underwhelmed - from years of stagnation
Tone - dead match day atmosphere but more than that a general apathy around the whole club that has hung around like a bad smell for some time.

Interesting to read this article from 2011 in the Guardian to see the kind of messages the club will roll out in response to these protests…

And this.

It’s time for hard hitting sustained protesting. Whatever the club throw at us we ignore until we get what we want, and what we want can be discussed in this thread :smirk:

Bonser will never quit, or sell, and why should he?
Any business man in a similar ‘no lose’ situation wouldn’t, so we are flogging a dead horse.
Staying away in droves would be the only way for him to even raise his head from his smug contented drewish hand wringing, but we all know that would mean the playing squad would suffer because of those pesky supporters staying away “it’s your own fault!”

That’s not the ‘only’ way though is it?

Think if we all contributed to a large banner of the likes of this that states exactly what we’re protesting along with a load of us taking Cypriot flags we’d get the message across

Ideally, like a number of people have previously suggested, an away game with a large following would be the place to start - gives time to gather momentum and be planned properly, get as many there as possible etc

If you think that don’t get involved. Simple.

I don’t mind where it starts now. I objected against Bolton because, quite honestly, I was there for a ■■■■ up and I wanted to enjoy the day.

But every game from now until the end of the season is going to be a slog.

But remember, similar half hearted, various types of protest have either failed miserably or fallen on deaf ears having been placated by the club issuing redacted financial figures proving that “we are a well run club”.
There were over 2,000 of us at Bolton on Saturday (regrettably I was in a box squirming amongst Bolton supporters as we were squatted like irritating flies in the second half) The fever pitch noise and encouragement were deafening, why can’t our protests have the same enthusiasm?

I’d love to get involved but I live in Cheshire and have to act and talk posh for my job! When I was younger and lived in Birchills I have knocked many a coppers hat off in the heat of the moment, when my beloved team lost again.

Think this is why it needs to be properly planned and get as many on board as possible and make it clear as possible before any protest is started

I was all up for starting as soon as possible but having thought about how half hearted protests in previous campaigns have fizzled out, I think it needs to gather momentum first to make it more sustainable

We need to get everyone on board making sure they know exactly what they are protesting for. Only then should we proceed with actually protesting. The upcoming weeks should be spent spreading the message across all social media platforms and at games. Like what @el_nombre has posted, 9/10 clear points need to spread around so everyone knows exactly why the protests are happening.

Spot on. Community effort that isn’t driven my individuals or groups.

We all know what the problem is, we just need to communicate it effectively.

Who did the nice Luton Bournemouth Rotherham out bit of artwork?

Like you say, this is a community effort. I think we need to make it clear this isn’t an UTS protest. EVERYONE from all social media platforms need to be involved as well as supporters who aren’t online.

Love it and completely agree with the sentiment. Have to be careful though that campaign material is spelt properly - his surname is Bonser not Bonsor. Professional looking, grammatically correct literature/ banners / posters etc will boost credibility.

Ah didn’t realise, thanks.

Budget - Playing side only half invested in, according to their own policies. And that’s questionable
Overpriced Tickets - compared to similar clubs in similar situations
No Ambition - There’s no clear forward plan for where this club is going.
Stadium - now tired and run down compared to others in our own league
Empty - Attendance figures falling year upon year with failed initiatives
Rent - paid from our owner to our landlord to the tune of 3 league one player salaries a year

Old fan base - we attract very few new fans and barely keep hold of the old ones
Underwhelmed - from years of stagnation
Tone - dead match day atmosphere but more than that a general apathy around the whole club that has hung around like a bad smell for some time.

Excellent. Think that would be really effective across social media. Easy name to confuse how to spell as most people presume his full name is Jeff ‘The ■■■■’ Bonser

Worth sharing this thread on the Twitter page @simon? And everyone on here retweet it from there maybe? Get people talking and all that!