UpTheSaddlers Forum

The Protests

Made me smile as the Sky pundits compared the Man City transfer expenditure with Burton Albion last night. ‘How can Burton expect to compete with an outlay of just £817k on transfers’ they said?

I was thinking thats 767k more than we spent on transfers! So, with that logic how the hell can we even expect to compete with the likes of the mighty Burton Albion!

DISGRACE

In fact 817K is more than our top 3 transfer fees spent of all time, PUT TOGETHER. In one season. This is a club in our own division.

And some on here keep describing Bonser as a clever bloke and astute businessman :rofl:

He’s not thick by a long shot, but I prefer to think of him as an opportunist who only sees the pound signs when it comes to windfall transfer money. A bird in the hand and all that.

Always was as thick as a plank and failed would be businessman (ask his outer family who refuse to speak or have anything to do with him) but is a shyster and learned quickly how to manipulate a situation that presented itself to his huge benefit. Not particularly clever at all but money buys you excellent money advice and how to tie things up like a kipper which is precisely what he has done with Walsall FC.

Well he is getting £450,000 per annum…From Walsall fans…some of them on the minimum wage. That seems like a cracking business model to me…if you can pull it off.

Always was as thick as a plank and failed would be businessman (ask his outer family who refuse to speak or have anything to do with him) but is a shyster and learned quickly how to manipulate a situation that presented itself to his huge benefit. Not particularly clever at all but money buys you excellent money advice and how to tie things up like a kipper which is precisely what he has done with Walsall FC.

I have said previously, Blackpool away represents a chance to get advice from their protest leaders, do something together before the game (alert the media) and make an impact on a larger than average away following.

I remember years back when Whalley proclaimed, in his usual smarmy way, that our corporate activities would mean we would be able to compete with clubs with bigger fanbases than our own. In truth it (just about) allows us to hang on to the coat tails of historically smaller clubs.

Great idea Stroller

Does anyone have the average HOME attendances per season for the last 25 years or so? Love to see that on a graph.

If we had avg. ticket prices we could work out much cash Uncle Jeff has lost.

Maybe that’s not 25 years, but last 18 I suppose. It’s not a graph, too. source
So far attendance looks ok.

Personally I’m not sure that will give an accurate reflection.

Our attendances have been fairly constant until this season, but that doesn’t take into account the commercial beast football has become, especially in the last 10 years, allowing forward thinking clubs to go on and ride the footballing business wave, in some case tripling their attendances. A lot of these clubs historically had smaller gates than ours, too.

This is the exact period we have stagnated, completely ignoring key markets to grow the fanbase and now we find ourselves in the frankly ridiculous position of charging similar or more than our rivals in higher leagues in most areas of our ground.

There has definitely been a significant downturn in fans in the home areas this season. Our current average is propped up by quite a few very large away attendances so far. Who cares about the number of fans in the away end (which is a ridiculous approach as alluded to in the official response from the club), surely the target has to be to get more in the home areas and create a quality atmosphere; not rely on large away followings to prop us up, essentially making it a home game for away teams!

I understand this is not ‘number of tickets sold to home fans’, but general home attendance. Probably only club knows how many tickets has been sold through last seasons to home support. On the surface it looks good. I think problem lies deeper, there are not so many young people going to matches and school days are not something, that could break this. So soon home support can drop below 3k, later 2k and chairman could say ‘you see, people of Walsall don’t want football’. Few bans, or several (during protests), can help with this. But ground can be still sold. Who cares what will happen with club later. And that’s the problem, no one cares where club will be in few years, except group or groups of fans.

I remember that as well it might if a decent percentage actually went into the playing side and not a black hole or Bonsers pocket.Roy whalley another tool we had to suffer for how many years?.

Yep @DanG_WFC also said he’ll be touching on the toilets in his next contribution.

If more of those comments get sent the E&S will wonder what’s going on here and then that becomes a decent investigative piece and the ball is rolling in that direction.

WM is waste of time.

Would contact David Conn again.

I’m sure he’d have a chuckle following on his original piece form 2011 and nothing has changed at all.

A few papers did pieces on the Blackpool ownership at the weekend. There was a piece in one of the mainstreams today about the mess Bolton are now in.

Clubs in crisis on or off the pitch will always make it into print.

Yep, I thought it best to mention them after a home game - makes more sense. I’ll be checking them Saturday and they better be hoping they’re clean otherwise I’ll be taking photos (so put your ■■■■■ away if you see me walk in!).

It’s only a well run club in the eyes of the 3 clowns running it , the town clearly disagree.

Could be an idea for a further banner Bonser , Mole and Gamble … the 3 clowns :clown_face:

Courtesy of @RobHarv3y