Trivela impact?

Thanks.

So do you know all of that to be fact, or are you joining up dots as you see it? With respect to Bonser selling up for his own benefit, well does a bear shit in the woods?

Why the need to sell the club to Pomlett when he did, rather than directly to Trivela. Doesn’t make sense to me.

1 Like

For obvious reasons. If you cast your mind back to Northampton away and remember the mood that day as 1500 away fans descended in the sun believing a brave new dawn was unfolding. That’s a far better backdrop to be conducting your business against than say, the mood at Accrington a few months earlier. It nullified any guaranteed suspicious notions that Bonser was potentially once more engaging in a transaction that was entirely for his benefit and not for the benefit of Walsall FC and also enabled his old board to remain in post and keep the beaks of any pesky new people out of his business, and guess what…they’re all still here!!

Perfect, and meanwhile Bonser gets to spend an extra couple of years relaxing in Cyprus while his old pals at WS1 and Pro Soccer Consulting sort out the legal ping-pong under the guise of Pomlett’s five year plan :rofl: that was of course nothing to do with Bonser - as Pomlett was always at great pains to stress - remember that particular nerve getting a good twanging around minutegate? OUCH!!

And Trivela manifest against a more more amenable backdrop…being “mentored” by those wonderful people who built the foundations of the “well run club”, none of whom are called Jeff Bonser, and hence can even be left in post to basically conduct the day to day ticking over…sorry…running… of the football club.

As I keep repeating, let’s see what happens next.

Oh and

Assume you mean regarding investment being knocked back? yes, fact.

2 Likes

It certainly takes a different imagination than I possess to conflate all those things.

BTW I am aware that he had knocked back investment in the past, but as I said above, that really isn’t surprising, or sinister.

He held the majority of the shares, he owned the freehold and he was always going to do what was best for him and his family. I also believe that in his own weird way (as he believed he’d done only good for the club), he believed that he was doing the best thing for the football club by selling to Pomlett, a safe pair of hands.

I don’t see why any of that stench should be hung on Trivela though. I’m of the view that they have bought the club in good faith for the right reasons. If evidence starts to point in a different direction, then I will be happy to reevaluate my view.

15 Likes

I was just going to post something similar so thanks for that. I would also emphasise the point about Trivela. They may be rogues and the American equivalent of JB but I have seen no evidence of that. Indeed most of the things they have done seem totally sensible other than some rather daft and petty price increases which quite unnecessarily upset the loyalist of fans (me included).

4 Likes

Walsall Football Club paid for the all the work done creating the playing surfaces and building the gym, changing rooms and parking area, but because it does not own the land it has to pay rent to the owner, Essington Council. On the latest statement I can find, the council valued Broad Lane Pavilion and Grounds at £227,407 and received a rent from WFC of £9,015.

2 Likes

Thanks for that information BERNIE.

1 Like

Bonser did a deal that meant that Walsall did not lose out, after developing the land with the club’s money, by being subject to ever-increasing high market value rents. It is a good job for us that he could not buy the land and put it in his pension fund.

1 Like

That sounds quite reasonable

What’s starting to concern me is the caution and attention from quarters that dont usually give a cack about Walsall FC.

Switched on WM and throughout LP’s reign, even when we were very close to the football league trapdoor, they remained fairly positive. Daz Hale and then Tom Lines from One Pod Beyond all sounding concerned. We have been mentioned in a couple of podcasts too.

We need this second letter soon and it needs to be bloody good. I, for one, have never seen such concern for the club both from the fanbase, and further afield. Always worries me when the vultures start to circle as there’s normally a reason.

5 Likes

For me the Jury is out until September on Trivela, as this summer is massive.

If I see:
• changes in the boardroom
• investment in players
• a structure put in place to support the football side of the club

I will be the first to acknowledge it, however, there is no indication of any of the above to date; so Boycotts second letter is massive.

UTS

4 Likes

I’ll be happy just with investment in new players!

I think a lot depends on the next 2 months. We need to get the assistant appointment right and we need to sign 5 or 6 quality players - we don’t want to have to rely on the Abrahams, DJTs, Williams or Cashmans of this world. In an ideal world, we would announce a 3-year deal for DJ on Monday- that wouldn’t just calm a few nerves, it would also stimulate a few extra season ticket sales. We need some positive moves from the board - let’s go for it for a change!

Its blindingly obvious that the appointment of Sadler, leaving everything else aside, is right now a massive risk. As with all risks it might pay off, but in my opinion this isn’t an appropriate minute in our history for risk taking, infact its quite the opposite. Now, indeed before now, is a time for bedding in firm foundations in the shape of bringing in new, provenly competent individuals into the key roles within the organisation and that includes the first team manager as it is the first team performance that is the area of greatest concern and uncertainty,. Two other (slight) red flags are equally concerning, one is that it took over 4 weeks to come to the decision about Sadler. If that is the level of procrastination we can expect from Trivela in respect of implementing the club’s proposed turnaround then we are in for difficult times, and of course they’ve done this on the back of a 13 month and counting mentoring from Pomlett . As I’ve said before, just because folks are successful in business doesn’t matter a jot when it comes to being successful in the cut and thrust of English professional football, which is a unique environment, even within the wider football environment - it needs people that understand it. Secondly there are already contradictory noises eminating from the appointment. Boycott was very keen to outline that it was conducted by him and Jordan, Sadler clearly mentioned the involvement of the three amigos.

It all looks a bit fudgy, and I think that’s what people are starting to pick up on.

Personally I wish they would just get on with things, the difference between outlining a strategy and implementing one is that the former can be knocked up on a lap-top during a trans-atlantic flight, the second requires financial resources and the right people in the key roles. So far in this pivotal summer we’ve got a letter and a very risky managerial appointment. Time yet… :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :pray:

3 Likes

I reckon he was chosen quite early on but they had to make it look like a thorough search had taken place.

2 Likes

Cheers Andy, that’s very reassuring :rofl:

3 Likes

What really worries a lot of us is that the three amigo’s apparently still reign supreme in the day to day running of our club. They have overseen years of neglect and failure on the pitch, we pick an untried member of previous back room staff as our new Manager, a guy that was indeed a not insubstantial instrumental part of of that failure. He was ‘hand picked’ out of 6 candidates…really? What they mean is that we were turned down by various capable candidates, probably because we pay peanuts (only an assumption, before the club apologists strike in response) so, we were forced to announce Sadler before the close season was in full swing. It all stinks of Bonserism & skinflintness rather than a ‘new horizon’ promised by our new owners.
Lets hope things might change a bit, we’ll wait and see. But many think that Trivela are a new false dawn, continuing that narrative of same old, same old. “I didn’t come here on a free transfer from Walsall to talk about shorts!” Dear old Walsall, always crap, always the bridesmaid, always the Music Hall comedians easy target.
We just hope that we don’t become one of the basket case clubs that solidify a place in the bottom two positions of the 4th Division next season!

You could be right and if so, once they had decided on Sadler, they could set out the criteria and qualities they were looking for so that he was the only one who ticked all the boxes. They would remove any need for managerial experience, coaching experience at different clubs, overall responsibility for the coaching of first team players, and track record, and put in a lot about being able to express a philosophy in favour of high-speed, high-energy football on the front foot.

This sort of thing happens all the time in business, and in teaching, when a head has a favoured candidate.

1 Like

By the way it annoys me when people say that burnt sausage rolls, crap club shop or leaky toilets don’t matter. Of course they do, they set the tone for the professionalism of the club, if the bars are badly run what chance the football team. Moreover, these are income streams for the club.

Massive summer of change or we’ll be non league faster than a transatlantic flight.

12 Likes

On Concorde!!

Winning and 3 points on a Saturday takes priority over your sausage roll and queue time for a pint.

1 Like